986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   lIs it typical for the wind blocker to buzz and rattle? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27340-lis-typical-wind-blocker-buzz-rattle.html)

Dale_K 01-01-2011 04:04 AM

lIs it typical for the wind blocker to buzz and rattle?

The 2000 S I bought a couple weeks ago has the plastic wind blocker between the roll bars and it seems to have all the parts but even when I carefully attach it, the unit buzzes and rattles unbearably. So far I've simply removed it and enjoy the car more without the annoying noises but the buffeting gets a little intense at highway speeds so I'd like to get the wind blocker installed nice and solidly.

I searched for "wind blocker" but didn't find much except for a comment about super gluing the unit in place. Are there any known fixes for a rattling wind blocker?

eightsandaces 01-01-2011 04:24 AM

The attachment system is far from robust, check each side, there are plastic parts with pins that can be ordered and replaced if the hardware is worn. Check the mesh screens in behind the seats as well, they can vibrate and make noise at speed.

JTP 01-01-2011 04:26 AM

That is typical and many forum members have posted their solutions like running a bead of caulking, replacing the clips, or placing a strip of Velcro on the bottom of the deflector.

tnoice 01-01-2011 05:28 AM

My windscreen rattled really bad. I ended up taking my off and sticking it in the closet.

WhipE350 01-01-2011 06:36 AM

Mine did it too and I fixed it completely. When new they come with a couple rubber pads adhered to I think the bottom and they just tend too flatten over time and so the whole thing becomes looser. Mine is a 2000 'S' also.
I used some self stick felt pads. The brand was Magic Felt (but there are many others) and it was a verity pack. I took about 6 or so 3/8" dots and spaced them all the way around the outside edge where it touches the roll bar. The wind stop now fits snug and is completely silent. The dots are also not visible.
I think I got the pack at Home Depot or Lowes, but I'm sure Walmart has them. I bought the pack for the chairs in my house since I have soft pine floors.
Give it a try. I also like it cause there is less chance of the wind stop falling out and breaking...they are very expensive.

Cheers.

Oh I can take a pic if you like.

Update - I was down stairs working on my car and checked the wind stops, I also had put the felt on the 3 braces that hold it in place, that keeps it snug and the others around the edge stop any noise if a vibration sets up.

vath2001 01-01-2011 01:10 PM

I have used black wire ties to lock the plastic mesh into the roll bars... when I bought the car, one was missing. They do not rattle now either.

Dale_K 01-02-2011 06:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. I noticed the rubber strips on the bottom and considered something thicker to take up the slack. The felt pads sounds like a good idea. So does a zip tie to prevent it from flying away.

Highlow 01-02-2011 06:54 AM

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

I ended up taking mine off and sticking it in the frunk. I only put it on when doing high speed for long distances when I know the top will be down.

SeaNile31 01-02-2011 07:07 AM

In my previous cars I did the felt pad/sticky tape/velcro/zip tie stuff and it worked great. Even if the buzz was barely noticeable, it drove me nuts! Hope my next Boxster doesn't have the issue, but if it does it's an easy fix.

WhipE350 01-02-2011 07:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a minute so took some pics. Now with that noise gone how do I get rid (reduce) of the wind noise :) . No really is the wind noise on a 986 mainly coming from the mirrors? Are the 987 ones quieter?

Cheers.

Highlow 01-02-2011 10:19 AM

I hear a lot of wind noise from my drivers side, but that is because I'm right next to it. It sure does make a sound though.

Beelzy 01-03-2011 09:19 AM

Forget about the noise, the glare was more annoying.....I took mine out, and don't
miss it at all.

The car still stays dry in a rainstorm with the top down too! :D

JTP 01-03-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzy
Forget about the noise, the glare was more annoying.....I took mine out, and don't
miss it at all.

The car still stays dry in a rainstorm with the top down too! :D

That's exactly why I took mine out too. Removed it after about five drives, that glare makes the mirror almost useless.