Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #1

Top Gear USA

I anxiously awaited the arrival of the American version of "Top Gear" because I have always enjoyed the British version. Am I the only one disappointed in the show? I was hoping for a lot more technical information and a lot less screwing around, like filling cars with water.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
JTP

I have over 80 GB of Top Gear on my computer and you're not alone on this, I think Top Gear USA blows. Although the American TG guys screw around, their antics are almost exact carbon copies of the British guy's stunts. Top Gear UK also filled theirs cars with water, got chased by a helicopter gunship, raced cars on a dirt track, and had collanders with eggs over their heads. It's all too similar down to the Stig. They don't even call him the "Stig's American Cousin". The big disappointing difference is these American boys don't have the interpersonal dynamics that Clarkson/May/Hammond have which is why most people watch Top Gear. Even the UK version does not offer much technical information and their reviews on cars isn't that great but it's fun to watch. Watching TG US. Felt like I was watching a rehearsed pseudo reality show like Orange County Choppers or American Hot Rod. Totally lame.
I don't know why we must Americanize everything and usually when we do it gets distorted and bastardized into something awful.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 AM   #3

Really lame, even though I like Tanner Faust. It truly is a parody of the British show; a poor one, at that. They could have taken the concept and made their own unique show; but it is so carbon copy, it is pitiful.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Am I the only one disappointed in the show?
You are most certainly not alone in that regard.
Nearly all of the various auto related forums I frequent are in agreement the show, at this point, is a lame copy wanabe of the original.

If we are lucky, maybe it will get better and more original in a year or so... if it lasts that long.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #5

I talking to my dad about how bad it was

the other day. All the stunts are replica's of what the BBC version has done. I could live with the copied content but the hosts are what truly make the show disappointing. The chemistry between them is so bad I feel like an awkward outsider watching the show. The show could make it with the right hosts, but I don't think it will make it with the current hosts. Why it is airing on the history channel makes no sense as well. TLC, discovery, and the history channel need to change their title's to reflect their new found irrelevance with their carbon copied reality series lineup (ax men, IRT, cake boss, swamp loggers, deadliest catch, etc...) as they are nothing more than shells of what they once were. The only show with any relevance is to the channel it is on is american pickers.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #6

I am with y'all on that.
They absolutely carbon copied the BBC show but forgot that:
a) we all had seen the exact same stunts in BBC's TopGear already, so why do exactly the same?
b) The BBC TopGear lives 50% on the absolute dead-pan delivery of British dry humor
c) The US show does not have Jeremy Clarkson, who is a total a**hole but mysteriously still likeable
d) Overall the chemistry between the 3 US guys doesn't work at all, and the BBC show is all based on this chemistry

So I am looking forward to Season 16 of the real TopGear
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I am with y'all on that.
They absolutely carbon copied the BBC show but forgot that:
a) we all had seen the exact same stunts in BBC's TopGear already, so why do exactly the same?
b) The BBC TopGear lives 50% on the absolute dead-pan delivery of British dry humor
c) The US show does not have Jeremy Clarkson, who is a total a**hole but mysteriously still likeable
d) Overall the chemistry between the 3 US guys doesn't work at all, and the BBC show is all based on this chemistry

So I am looking forward to Season 16 of the real TopGear

Hopefully the US version will be aborted sooner rather than later. I honestly do not know why they even attempted to replicate UK Top Gear, it's impossible to even get close. The first couple of years the UK guys were together it wasn't that good either though, it took quite awhile for the chemistry to develop. FWIW, the Aussie version isn't much better.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #8

This applies to anything Americans try to remake... that includes foreign TV shows and films.

Top Gear is in English so there's little excuse to re-do it since the American audiences are too lazy to read subtitles.

Haven't watched the US version but I heard it's better than the Australian one which puts me to sleep.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
This applies to anything Americans try to remake... that includes foreign TV shows and films.
The Office is the only one I can think of that was a successful remake of a British show but even that is going downhill lately.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #10

Well, it seems that I'm the lone member on this forum who enjoys the show. No, it isn't perfect and I fast forward through the "celebrity" drive/interview, but I do find it enjoyable and really funny at times.

I had some time on my hands during the holidays and watched some "Battle of the Supercars" and to me, it was both boring and lame.

Just my 2c ...
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I actually enjoyed the last episode, they're getting the hang of it.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #12

This Top Gear has been a complete disappointment. I have not found any redeeming qualities as of yet.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #13

it doesn't help that I dislike Tanner Foust as a tv personality, and when I look at that other guy all I can think of is nascrap, then there is that other, other guy who is he?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #14

Its so terrible that even the people ON the set don't even laugh at the jokes these guys throw out there. Won't last long.
spennybenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #15

i would in no way give up the UK version for the US version, however they've been getting a little better. maybe one day it will be fairly decent and something to tide me over between UK episodes.

did anyone see the UK middle east special? good stuff. loved the ending!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I am with y'all on that.
Wirklich? "y'all"?? Ein unerwartetes Ding für einen Mann von München, um zu sagen.

Oh, and yes Top Gear US blows.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #17

My $0.02.....

If this TG were to be a replacement for the Clarkson/May/Hammond TG, then I would be ready to throw fists. However, because I can still get the original online, and on BBCAmerica, I'm really not that upset about it like so many TG fans are. And I've been a HUGE fan of the original for many, many years.

I think they could correct this version with a few small tweaks:

- Keep Tanner Faust and get rid of the other two fools. They have less than zero automotive credibility. And I don't care about any resume that includes failed NASCAR shows (bearded guy)

- fix the music. British TG has great music. Why must US TG induce so much pain to the ears?

- Give the Stig back his proper introductions. Some say...

The Tanner Foust segment where he drove the Ford Raptor was actually quite TG-worthy. A blatant copy of stunts from UK, but still not bad. Make more like that with hosts that know how to drive, and I'm sold. Almost.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #18
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
If this TG were to be a replacement for the Clarkson/May/Hammond TG, then I would be ready to throw fists. However, because I can still get the original online, and on BBCAmerica, I'm really not that upset about it like so many TG fans are. And I've been a HUGE fan of the original for many, many years.
I am a huge fan also and I agree with you but having TG: USA, AUS, and Russia waters down the brand and cheapens the true Top Gear. One of my colleagues at work knew I was into Top Gear and he was saying how he liked the show but when he was describing the shows he watched I was getting more and more confused. I realized he was talking about the American show. I had yo explain that it was different from the UK version and how it was inferior to the UK show.
Just imagine if there was a Boxster US version that looked like the German car but was powered by an 80's Buick V6 and the suspension from a Pacer. And another Boxster Korea version with all the chassis from a KIA. You'd have to explain how your car was the real German car with the proper flat 6 and balanced suspension.