986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Replacing Headlight Covers 2001 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27325-replacing-headlight-covers-2001-boxster.html)

d18mike 12-30-2010 01:16 PM

Replacing Headlight Covers 2001 Boxster

Guys, have reached the point where I'd like to replace the yellowing plastic headlight covers on my 2001. Anyone else done this? If so, I would appreciate your perspective on cost and complexity of the work; any landlines I need to be aware of. Thanks!

jmatta 12-30-2010 01:43 PM

I've removed mine to deamber and I don't believe there is a way to replace just the cover. These are glued together by the manufacturer and not meant to be dismantled. Where would you even find replacement lenses? You would need to find donor headlights, bake them in the oven to soften the glue and dismantle. In that case, you'd just install the donor headlights and be done with it.

d18mike 12-30-2010 02:14 PM

Thanks. I was afraid of that. My "hope" was that these were not integrated units -- so in the event one was cracked by a stone (or baseball bat depending on where you live) they might be readily replaced.

Maybe I'm just doing a poor job cleaning the "yellow" open to suggestions on how to do so better if anyone has ideas!

Thanks!

AndyA6 12-30-2010 02:40 PM

Go to www.autopia.org and search yellow headlight.
Wealth of info. Or, go to Autozone or Pepeboys and get a Mothers or similar restoration kit for like 20 and do it yourself. Can be done!

schnellman 12-31-2010 04:28 AM

As they say, it's one huge integrated piece. Easily removed, but big. If you'd prefer to go the easy route and replace both units, I'll sell you my amber units. They only have 15K on them and are perfectly clear. PM if you're interested.

Cloudsurfer 12-31-2010 03:34 PM

The best thing you can do to breathe new life into plastic headlights is to sand them (the best thing I have found for this is 3M Trizact on a D/A) and then use a fine, plastic polishing compound (the Mothers kit is fine), also on a D/A. With some patience and time you can get them looking almost new.

jcb986 01-01-2011 09:19 AM

I found a used pair here on the forum that were mint condition. The seller upgrade and got this two for $150...check here in the Classified section and maybe post a WTD ad.

mcfly777 01-02-2011 11:18 AM

I have sanded and polished mine and they now look like new. It is some work, but well worth it. Try this option before replacing both units.

Leo

johnywade14 03-01-2011 08:07 PM

headlight cover replacement..

Hi guys I was wondering if front headlight covers can be replaced. They have a lot of scratches and one small chip on the drivers side.Can I just replace the clear cover and not the whole housing?