986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear Bumper Fitment Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27319-rear-bumper-fitment-question.html)

seventythree 12-30-2010 06:47 AM

Rear Bumper Fitment Question

To update the rear bumper cover from 02 to 03, is it true that the muffler must be changed as well?

TIA

jmatta 12-30-2010 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe that's true, only if you have the Porsche PSE exhaust; the bypass pipes won't fit behind the diffusers. I have aftermarket diffusers on my '02 and the muffler fits just fine.

Johnny Danger 12-30-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventythree
To update the rear bumper cover from 02 to 03, is it true that the muffler must be changed as well?

TIA

As you probably know, the diffuser on the '03 and up is incorporated into the design of the bumper itself, whereas the aftermarket version simply attaches along the underside of the bumper on previous years. Jmatta is correct, the aftermarket style diffuser will not accommodate the PSE exhaust. Furthermore, there are some aftermarket exhausts that feature a "dual canister" design that hang too low to clear the add on diffuser as well. Such was the case with my exhaust.

Mark_T 12-30-2010 02:03 PM

Do you have to change the spoiler as well when you change from an 02 to an 03 or 04 bumper? They are different, aren't they? What about the trunk lid - is it still the same?

seventythree 01-01-2011 06:53 AM

Happy new year to all,

I am not concerned with after market diffusers. My rear bumper cover is mashed in pretty badly and is in need of replacement. I will be buying a new bumper cover and would like to know if I simply could order the 03 cover? My car is not equipped with the Porsche sport exhaust if that is what PSE stands for.

And, I had no idea that the spoiler on an 03 car was different that the 02 in a way that would involve the bumper cover. If so, please advise on that as well.

Thanks

Johnny Danger 01-01-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventythree
Happy new year to all,

I am not concerned with after market diffusers. My rear bumper cover is mashed in Pretty badly and is need of replacement. I will be buying a new bumper cover and would like to know if I simply could order the 03 cover? My car is not equipped with the Porsche sport exhaust if that is what PSE stands for.

And, I had no idea that the spoiler on an 03 car was different that the 02 in a way that would involve the bumper cover. If so, please advise on that as well.

Thanks

The member who goes by the name "Yellow Boxster 01" changed his rear bumper over to an '03. I would suggest sending him a pm and asking what it entailed ?