986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Carbon fiber rear hatch (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27317-carbon-fiber-rear-hatch.html)

livin_in_a_boxster 12-30-2010 06:17 AM

Carbon fiber rear hatch

Just dented my rear hatch by mistakingly closing it on a wine bottle that was standing up inside the trunk. Thinking about getting this Carbon fiber hatch

http://tinyurl.com/2uobz2o

but it says for off road use only? Why?

ekam 12-30-2010 06:32 AM

For liability reason as they are probably not made to crumble during a crash.

livin_in_a_boxster 12-30-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
For liability reason as they are probably not made to crumble during a crash.

Thats what I thought, Thanks!

Johnny Danger 12-30-2010 03:57 PM

The problem with adding a large carbon fiber piece such as a trunk lid, to the unsuspecting eye , it can often appear as though the vehicle was involved in an accident and the repairs have not been fully completed . In other words, it looks like part of the vehicle is still primed . :cool: This is especially true for bright or light colored vehicles . Carbon can serve as an excellent material as it relates to accent pieces. However, when used in areas that would otherwise be part of the vehicle's main color field, it can often look "bobo".

AndyA6 12-30-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
The problem with adding a large carbon fiber piece such as a trunk lid, to the unsuspecting eye , it can often appear as though the vehicle was involved in an accident and the repairs have not been fully completed . In other words, it looks like part of the vehicle is still primed . :cool: This is especially true for bright or light colored vehicles . Carbon can serve as an excellent material as it relates to accent pieces. However, when used in areas that would otherwise be part of the vehicle's main color field, it can often look "bobo".

Maybe some paint might help?

RandallNeighbour 12-30-2010 05:13 PM

If the paint on your original trunk lid isn't cracked, a paintless dent repair professional should be able to rub it out for you.

You can also get salvaged ones off eBay and from LA Distmantlers for a third of the cost of this CF design.

Flavor 987S 12-31-2010 02:56 AM

Was it a red or a white?

The bigger problem appears to be why a wine enthusiast would put wine in the rear trunk. Wine should only go in the much cooler frunk. :)

Keep your reds at about 55.

RandallNeighbour 12-31-2010 03:40 AM

... and Bill jumps in with free wine temp advice, drilling down to the far more important issue at hand :cheers:

That's what I love about you Flavorman!!!! :D

DenverSteve 09-06-2011 07:43 PM

Not trying to revive an old thread but thought it is interesting that the $250,000 GT2 RS comes stock with a carbon fiber frunk and accents. :)

jcb986 09-07-2011 10:32 AM

Sounds like a reason to buy a new Boxster with a Wine Rack... :cheers:

DenverSteve 09-07-2011 02:22 PM

My Cayenne actually had a wine cooler in the glove box. The A/C always ran into the box and there was a wine-bottle depression at the back. Unused, but nice thought.

Jager 09-07-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Was it a red or a white?

The bigger problem appears to be why a wine enthusiast would put wine in the rear trunk. Wine should only go in the much cooler frunk. :)

Keep your reds at about 55.

I'm with Flavor 987S... When I go wine tasting I have a large cooler in the frunk to hold my purchases... Yes the cooler fits!

Jake D 09-09-2011 06:03 PM

Like previously mentioned, if the paint isnt cracked then a PDR guy can use a knock down tool and knock the high spot back down and you'd never know it happened. I've been working with a PDR guy a lot recently and he used the knock down tool on about every dent he fixes.

The problem that I usually see with replacement carbon fiber parts is that the top coat of clear or resin ends up fading out after some long time in the sun and it looks very hazy.

blue2000s 09-09-2011 06:38 PM

I love it when people try to answer a question posed 10 months ago.