Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #1

CR rates Porsche Boxster...

Want a car that will last a long, long time? Buy a Porsche.

According to Consumer Reports' latest reliability survey, all cars and SUVs made by the Stuttgart, Germany-based automaker are rated average or better when it comes to longevity. One car in particular — Porsche's $47,600 Boxster — stands above the rest. It has the best predicted reliability of any vehicle tested by Consumer Reports this year.

--
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40645489/ns/business-autos/

Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #2

I guess this survey is for the new MY11. They didn't give a year range did they?
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Sorry...

only the newest model years...I know right?! I would have loved to see my my98 on that list...ahhh...but for just a moment..
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

LOL That's funny.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #5

Predicted reliability
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Consumers Reports predicted reliability isn't some kind of crazy made-up prediction; its based on 10-years of reliability data as stated here from their report:

"Our data are based on an annual survey of subscribers to Consumer Reports and ConsumerReports.org and are not derived from road tests. A model needs at least 100 responses per model year for us to score it.

From the survey, we create a reliability history for each model over the course of 10 years, 2001 to 2010. We use the data, in part, to forecast how well the 2011 models will hold up."

Thus, CR's prediction that the Boxster is THE most reliable car to buy for 2011 is based on their ACTUAL reliability data from the past 10 years! This data is statistically meaningful and has been proven repeatedly valid over many years, brands, and models.

That would seem to imply that most Boxster online forums have been biased by a minority of owners who have suffered failures and that the real-world Boxster reliability data is much, much better than any of us online forum readers may think.

Folks, its right there in Consumer Reports - the Boxster is more reliable than a Honda or a Toyota.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I've been getting Consumers Report all my life and really enjoy it. I have had my disagreements with them especially on new cars but in general we are close on our views...another topic though

The question here is if it takes 100 responses for a model year, that is a very small number, it would be nice if they put out some stats on how many responses they actually got.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote