Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #1

Have you ever listed all your mods?

I've had my Boxster for just over a year now and in that time I've done a 3000 mile round trip around Europe (France Switzterland, Italy, Monte Carlo), driven on 8 UK track days and done Spa and the Nurburgring twice. 14K miles in total, but that's what I bought the car for!

But what really surprises me is the little tweaks and mods that I've done since buying...it must be something in my blood! Here's most of what I've done!

So the Car itself is a late '01 986S currently at 125K miles. A low mileage replacement engine was fitted at 104K miles. Mechanically, it's had a new waterpump, fuel pump and fuel relay.

So, let the mods begin:

* ENGINE: DNA Tuning Custom Map, Flat 6 Underdrive Pulley, Smooth air intake: 283bhp & 240lb/ft

* SUSPENSION: Retofitted MO30 Sports Suspension, complete new control arm set, 15mm/21mm (R/F) Hubcentric Spacers, EVOMS rear carbon upper strut brace, EVOMS 'swift-shift' gear shortener.

*BRAKES: Performance Friction pads, Goodridge braided Hoses, Motul RBF 600 fluid and GT3 front brake ducts.

*WHEELS: 997 Carrera III 18's with Bridgestone SO2 rubber (road) and 987 17's painted red with R888 Tyres (track)

*LIGHTS: Retrofit Clear Headlights (de-ambered) with LED indicators, LED sidelights and HID 5000K dipped Beam. Ring Hyper white DRLs. Rear LED red/smoke light upgrade and smoked central rear light. Door lights upgraded with LEDs and amber footwell illumination.

*EXTERIOR: Prestige Mohair Hood with heated glass screen, GT3 style front splitter, extended air intake, carbon wing mirror covers, Tequipment Sports exhaust bypass pipes painted matt black. Front and rear respray.

*INTERIOR: Retrofitted Sports seats, custom floor mats, aluminium-line gear lever, handbrake and silver centre console. Extended Carbon sills, Custom 'carbon leather' work (in progress). Custom silver grey Seatbelts, 996 'no smoker' 12V plug. Technovolt Voltmeter, Oil temperature and pressure gauges (in progress), Twin-tone Air Horn.

*AUDIO: Pioneer AVIC F910BT Double DIN Stereo/SatNav/DVD/USB/SD/iphone Head Unit, CDT Audio 6.5" Sub, 6" Mid Bass, 4" Mid range and tweeters, Genesis Profile 5 (450Watts RMS) amplifier.

I'm sure I've forgotten something

I think I'm there - my Box is exactly how I want it. In one years time, who knows - it'll either be a 996 Turbo or a 3.8 Engine...

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #2

Mods

This thread is useless without pictures
goldsc_78258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #3

Sorry to be negative on this one but.. Are you doing thoses mods for yourself or juste to show them off to get attention ?..

I see absolutely no point in such thread, it remember me a bunch of kids with their civic in a local car show, where most of them list the mode they (dream) will do soon..

Put a nice picture of your car in your signature and keep yourself to 1 line or 2 of your major mod, I don't think nobody care what kind of plug you put in your 12V outlet..

Don't take this personally
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #4

Pictures are a must when you want to show off the mods. But, it will not add any resale price to your Boxster when you sale...some people get a little leary about mods when they buy.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #5

Like Gary, I have now plowed 3x the value of my car into repairs and mods, which I did because I enjoyed doing them, I have zero plans to ever sell the car, and very few people even notice them unless I point them out.

Vipola, I'd love to know, in intricate detail, everything Gary has done to his car. We are kindred spirits. I also know from six years on this forum that there are hundreds of other forum members that will enjoy reading it and ask Gary about one of his mods they want to do but couldn't source the parts or the process of installation.

BTW, in the spirit of this thread, most of (but not the most recent) repairs and mods can be viewed on this page of my web site:

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/repairs_mods.htm
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #6

You're making it too easy for thieves to steal your stuff.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Like Gary, I have now plowed 3x the value of my car into repairs and mods, which I did because I enjoyed doing them, I have zero plans to ever sell the car, and very few people even notice them unless I point them out.
That is the same way with my NB people can't believe that it is 10 years old and has over 200,000 on it. They also don't know it has a body kit on it except for the wing. I know the boxster will be even more subtle once I start moding it, because I will most likely not touch the body, just some suspension and wheels and tires. Good job on the mods Gary H and keep driving it. I am so jealous of this..."I've done a 3000 mile round trip around Europe (France Switzterland, Italy, Monte Carlo), driven on 8 UK track days and done Spa and the Nurburgring twice. 14K miles in total." It is at least 250 miles to really good driving roads from where I live and then it is still nothing like spa or the nurburgring. There is supposed to be a new track being built in Austin TX that I can't wait to run at. It is supposed to be fashioned after the best parts of the best tracks from around the world.

Oh and I noticed a few of your mods Randall and my personal opinion is that you have one of the coolest 986's on the forum.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #8

Flattery will get you everywhere. But you've not seem my car up close and personal. Truthfully, the paint's in an awful state in my eyes although for a 13 year old abused boxster it's not bad. I even have three rust spots the size of a dime and nickel under the passenger side engine fan vent I need to get fixed sooner than later.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
JTP

Hopefully there's enough room here for my extensive list of mods:
Zip tied mesh to roll bar.
Hard wire kit for radar detector.
Desnorkeled then Resnorkeled within a month.
A new front bumper because a deer modded my bumper/grill assembly and radiator.

I've been focused on keeping up with maintenace items like oil, CV boots, tires, alignment, etc.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

Having recently joined the forum I'm going to use my first post to say that you (edit: I meant THANK YOU) to Gary H for starting the thread.
It gave me a chance to look at all kinds of mods in one thread and I appreciate it!

And thanks to Randall N for his mod list too.

To vipola for your post shown below, I don't think I've ever seen a post on a car board expressing sentiment quite like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Sorry to be negative on this one but.. Are you doing thoses mods for yourself or juste to show them off to get attention ?..

I see absolutely no point in such thread, it remember me a bunch of kids with their civic in a local car show, where most of them list the mode they (dream) will do soon..

Put a nice picture of your car in your signature and keep yourself to 1 line or 2 of your major mod, I don't think nobody care what kind of plug you put in your 12V outlet..

Don't take this personally

Last edited by DFW02S; 11-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #11

LOL, thanks for the comments...I think

The point I was trying to make was that most of my mods have a purpose, or are an enhancement, or are genuinely useful. Be it for driving, for comfort or for track.

The point I was trying to make is that I DRIVE my car, not polish it every day or wince if there's the slightest drop of rain and leave it covered up in my Garage...and yet, almost without thinking have modded it (quite extensively) without it looking like Dogs Dinner.

The point I was trying to make is that it's all to easy lose track of everything you've done to your car to enhanced it just that little bit...and value?! Don't go there - I wouldn't have started if I was interested in resale value!

Vipola, I don't really understand how you can come across so negatively and then end with 'don't take it personally'!! How else would you take it? Attention seeking? Trust me, I've been there, done that - you may have heard of a small US forum called VWVortex? Well to have your Golf voted the best car on there - especially as I'm in the UK is a pretty big thing. Previously to that I had a 5-series BMW with an outrageous bodykit that even WCC (if they'd been around) would have been proud of, and in it I built a World-renowned Stereo system...but have now come full circle - from All Show and no go , to full-on Go with a little show

So, no. No attention seeking sought, but modding is my blood - so if anything I've discovered, anything I've done can help anyone else it' my pleasure to do so.

Oh - if you did lose your lighter and wanted to fill the hole (and didn't smoke) what would you do?

More than happily share the part number with you
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Hopefully there's enough room here for my extensive list of mods:
Zip tied mesh to roll bar.
Hard wire kit for radar detector.
Desnorkeled then Resnorkeled within a month.
A new front bumper because a deer modded my bumper/grill assembly and radiator.

I've been focused on keeping up with maintenace items like oil, CV boots, tires, alignment, etc.

Why the re-snorkle?

(Sorry, forgot that one too ]
Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
Vipola, I don't really understand how you can come across so negatively and then end with 'don't take it personally'!! How else would you take it? Attention seeking? Trust me, I've been there, done that - you may have heard of a small US forum called VWVortex? Well to have your Golf voted the best car on there - especially as I'm in the UK is a pretty big thing. Previously to that I had a 5-series BMW with an outrageous bodykit that even WCC (if they'd been around) would have been proud of, and in it I built a World-renowned Stereo system...but have now come full circle - from All Show and no go , to full-on Go with a little show

Okay, I admit my comment was rude.. I retract it..

There is many way to talk about mods..

When you show what you did, how you did it and why and all that it's very interesting and you learn alot, and everyone will agree for sure..

But it's when peoples just go crazy list mods just for listing mods and putting all kind of irrelevent details like the color of ther underwhere that really don't say anything, in the only goal of getting more line that the guy beside.. this is what I find useless..

Hope this will help you all understand what I tried to say in my previous comment
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
Why the re-snorkle?

(Sorry, forgot that one too ]
I didn't like it. Sounded cool but if anything I think it took away a little power on the low end. Put it back on and it feels healthier.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #15

Mods, eh? Let's see... I started with a neglected but fortunately not abused '99 986. So far I've added:

-2003 front bumper
-2003 heated sport seats (luv 'em!)
-2003 3-spoke steering wheel
-2003 shift knob
-added double-stitched leather gaiter to handbrake lever
-leather-covered console compartment cover
-replaced the broken ashtray with the oddments tray
-decaled the visors to cover the labels
-decaled the third brake light
-de-badged the trunk
-de-snorkeled
-colored crest wheel centre caps
-polished the headlight lenses

Still to do:

-re-finish/replace the wheels
-2003 style head and tail lights
-replace the grit-blasted windshield
-997 shift lever assembly
-some nice Lloyds mats
-give Jake Raby a ****************-load of cash to do his thing
Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #16

Great mod list Gary. While my box is just a stock 986S I have fallen down that slippery slope with my URS4. Lots of 5-cylinder turbo goodness. 30+psi.

Where did you get your extended air intake? Custom? Would like to see pics. I like my desnorkeled intake but more fresh cold air scooped in.

What size tires you rinning as race tires. I have a set of 275/40r17 rear and 245/40r17 front khumo victoracers that i have squeezed onto my 17's for autocross. You running any larger? Want to make sure they will still clear when lowered. Thanks
stuklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #17

Great thread. Mark T, great mods. You and I have the same taste.

I bought my 986 new in 2001. I special ordered it and put a lot of options on it. I have also desorkled, added a 2003 top with a glass window, 2003 tail lights, clear front markers, 2004 5-spoke wheels, alumimum hand brake and shift knob, GR painted center console and Kenwood double din nav unit.

To come; hard back heated sports seat with backs painted GR, M030 springs and Bilsteins HDs lowered to ROW, and.......

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #18

I think mine are at the bottom in my sig.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
Track rat

Garage
I guess I am a bit of a purist. I like the way the car looks just fine. I mod it with a singular purpose. If it doesn't make the car safer, more reliable or turn quicker laps it doesn't go on my car. I know, totally boring. It is what it is.

My list:
1 Cobra Imola Pro kevlar racing seat bolted to the floor
1 set Tarett adjustable sway bars with drop links
1 B&K roll bar extension with pad kit
1 RSS UD Pulley
1 X-51 baffled oil pan
1 5hz GPS reciever/PDA/racechrono software for live lap timing and data analysis.
5 sets of tires in various states of shred.
3 sets of Boxster S II 17" wheels. They all match so I can swap em around.
1 Odessey 680 light weight 15lb battery
1 10BC fire extinguisher on custom fabricated mount
1 set Raybestos ST-43 racing brake pads (great for the track, a little intense for street)

That's it. The motor is bone stock and it still has a full interior with cold A/C and a stereo/CD changer but I rarely use it. The car is pretty well sorted and nearly always in the top 20 out of 100 cars. If the driver has his act together it might squeak into the top 10 on a good day. Not too bad for a lil 2.5L pea shooter.

Last edited by Topless; 11-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #20

Hi Topless - some great mods there. How much of a weight reduction is the battery vs stock? And the Seat?
How much work is involved fitting the Sump, how much does increase oil capacity by and does it still sit under the under tray?
Would you say fitting a baffled sump is absolutely pessary if using track tyres? Were you getting oil starvation problems before fitting?
I've never heard of Raybestos - have you used anything else for track and could you compare them to Performance Friction or Pagid?

Cheers

Stuklr: The extended air scoop:

More cosmetic than functional, but if it directs a little more cold air in then great.
(Also shows a 21mm spacer on the rear with a 10J wide wheel and a 25mm spacer up front. Soon to be 15mm rear and 21mm front)

Tyre-wise for track is a little unconventional:

225/45 up front and 245/45's on the back - promotes turn in, reduces understeer and keeps the rolling radius very similar to stock.

(I originally went for this combo because teh tyres weren't in stock in the regular Porsche sizes. His worked and I've stuck with it.

Last edited by Gary H; 11-18-2010 at 12:47 AM.