Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #1

Sharp "Crack!" when car is twisted

When I turn up a steep ramp (e.g. sometimes when turning into a parking lot), I hear a sharp "crack!" sound. Actually maybe more like a loud "Knock!" sound from the suspension or chassis. If the 2 front wheels "go up" at the same time, e.g. like going over a speed bump at right angles, then there is no sound. But the sound occurs when the car is "twisted" e.g. if you go over a speed bump at an angle or up that steep ramp at an angle.

I'm thinking a bolt is just sligtly loose and thus when the car is twisted, there is some movement in the pieces of the suspension/chassis/frame.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a quick fix? Pay someone to torque/tighten all the bolts he can find in the bottom of the car? Is there specific torque settings for each bolt or could someone just take an air wrench and go nuts?

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 AM   #2

similar experience

I got my 987 in march and I do experience similar crack or knock sound. However, I think the sound is actually from the dashboard.
Dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:42 AM   #3

Socratic, if your car has had some rough pot hole driving or it's old like my 1997, it may be a control arm. Quite often, they make a racket (mine squeaked) before they totally give out, which is caused by aluminum on steel where there should be an elbow bushing.

Now this thought is totally speculative—it might just be a loose bolt, but you need to get your car to a good Porsche mechanic sooner than later... loose bolts make a car's suspention parts wear out rapidly.

In my case, I had to have the driver's front control arm (not cheap) replaced, but my mechanic removed and inspected the front passenger side control arm and was able to repack the bearing with grease to enlongate it's life it. So, catching it early may save you lots of money later.

Good luck and do return to this thread to tell us what it was in the end and how much it cost to replace. Loud undexpected noises in our cars only makes me freak out, so it's good for me to learn as much as I can to keep those emotions under control.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #4

I have experienced this too in my 2000 boxster S. When I make a right hand turn up the driveway its like a "Springy Sound" pop.

I just don't worry about it.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #5

Question

Hi KRZTACO....For long have you experienced/noticed this sound? I have been hearing a similar sound in my Boxster lately as well. I think it might be wise to have a mechanic check it out to really make sure it is nothing serious....

'01 Boxster 30 K (Triple Black)
calvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:50 PM   #6

Honestly I feel its the Adjustable steering wheel making the noise.

When you pull the steering wheel in or out it makes the same noise.

Any THoughts?

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #7

Hmmm...I have not seeing a correlation with the adjustable steering wheel mechanism (I will check)...My symptoms are exactly the way Socratic pointed them out...

Thanks,

Humberto-
Old 06-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #8

Smile "Crack!" when car is twisted

HI Folks,

I took my '01 Boxster today for a front suspension check at the dealer (Valley Motors)...After a thorough check of two hours, they could not find anything wrong with the suspension. Apparently, these suspension sounds are not unusual in the Boxster if one is turning the wheel while driving up/down a ramp. This is a more of a Boxster feature What is surprising to me is that I have not
heard of a larger number of Boxster owners noticing this "feature".

Anway, I least I performed the check (under the factory warranty), so now I can sleep better

Cheers,

Humberto-

'01 Trp Black Boxster 30.2 K
'86 Red 944 NA 156K
PCA Potomac
Old 06-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #9

windshield "crack" sound

I get a sharp crack sound when the a/c blows on a hot windshield. It sounds like a pebble hitting the windshield. It happens about every other drive. I'll get it checked out in my 30k service on my '02.

xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote