Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

I saw my engine today!!!

So, I changed my coolant reservoir today, and I want to thank all of the DIY posters on the subject (As well as Pedro's Garage!) Since the word "Fiddley" has already been used, I will stick with that, though other, oddly alliterative, words came to mind. Actually, every detail was described, and the repair went exactly as expected,

I have an '01 S, which had a glass window installed by the indy dealer. I don't know if it is Porsche or after-market, but I had problems exposing the engine. I couldn't move the window forward, and there was no retaining strap, as all the DIY instructions stated.

Anyway, am I doomed to a lifetime of semi-exposure, or am I doing something wrong?

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Carnut

Keine Ahnung, Mann! Trotzdem Frohe Weihnachten!!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #3

i dont know what the lst guy said since i dont speak german and i'm too tired from last minute shopping to go to a translation website...

from what you describe it's an aftermarket top and that is one of the few downsides of it - access is more limited than the plastic or newer boxsters. for 90% of your at-home work it probably won't matter too much. i learned to remove the box, carpeting and top firewall while the top was completely closed. the entire top can come off in one piece in fairly short order if need be so don't let it bother you too much. enjoy not having to do the "boxster chop" or cracking the plastic if it's just a few degrees too cold, plus it's less prone to vandalism.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Hi Iflylow, are you saying the after market cover doesn't have a fabric rod and tension cables? Or is it that after you disconnect them you can't push the back window up to the service position against the roll bars?

If you can get the top that far up then the rear cover or clam shell actually disconnects pretty easily once you learn how to remove the clips...just remember to put some thick soft microfiber towels on the back of the car in case it drops. I use two little L shaped hex wrenches in the little holes provided to hold it up...once you do this the engine is easy to work on...well it will tire your back...a lot of leaning
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6
Keine Ahnung, Mann! Trotzdem Frohe Weihnachten!!
Danke, Du auch!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Hi Iflylow, are you saying the after market cover doesn't have a fabric rod and tension cables? Or is it that after you disconnect them you can't push the back window up to the service position against the roll bars?

If you can get the top that far up then the rear cover or clam shell actually disconnects pretty easily once you learn how to remove the clips...just remember to put some thick soft microfiber towels on the back of the car in case it drops. I use two little L shaped hex wrenches in the little holes provided to hold it up...once you do this the engine is easy to work on...well it will tire your back...a lot of leaning

Yes, it has the tension cables, and I can disconnect and partially lift the soft top. The problem is that there is nowhere for the glass to go, so it won't lift very high.

The clamshell still lifts far enough. I have heard people say the same thing that Carreon said, so I guess it is just something to live with. I do enjoy the glass, though!