986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tire Mounting Fees (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27231-tire-mounting-fees.html)

Perfectlap 12-21-2010 12:14 PM

Tire Mounting Fees

I recently stumbled upon a tire shop close to home that removed a shreded tire before I dropped it off at another shop for repair. The cost to remove the tire from shop #1 was $8 and I tipped $2.

The new tire came from the TireRack and I had delivered to one of their installers since I have no room to lug both a wheel and tire in the Boxster and I don't want to bother somone else to follow me in their own car. Shop #2's fee to mount the tire was $25 with taxes. That's $100 to mount all four for you guys keeping track. :D That seems a bit more than the $80 I last paid which itself seemed high.
Now keep in mind both of these shops are tiny.

What do you typically pay to have tires mounted?

Flavor 987S 12-21-2010 12:21 PM

Make sure they are dynamic road force balanced.

This is still one of the jobs I still go to the dealership for. Mainly, as insurance for any potential damage to the rims, and the use of proper weights. Plus, many dealership can balance to the gram....not the 1/4 or 1/2 ounce like a tire shop.

This past June, I paid over $150 for just the rear tires to be M&B on the Turbo. And not a mark on my very rare SpeedLine Dayton wheels.

When the Boxster got all new shoes in 2009 the bill was over $250.

Perfectlap 12-21-2010 01:07 PM

These wheels are pretty scarce from what I can tell just from searching for a replacement wheel, but all four are in need of refinishing (quoted $700 by one shop) so I'm not to concerned if they get a nick on there. My concern is that I'll need to have these tires removed, and then mounted again. At $25 rates that's $200 before work has even begun. Sounds like I'll have to take it to the budget place to have the tires removed ($24) and then to a pricey place have the touched up wheels mounted ($100).

Adam 12-21-2010 01:12 PM

I just had 4 tires dismounted at my local shop and it cost me $14.

kabel 12-21-2010 01:30 PM

my discount tire location charges $1 per inch of the diameter of your wheel to mount or dismount a tire.

Fortunately I have a rapport with this particular shop, and if the owners is there I typically do not get charged these fees. ;)

JTP 12-21-2010 02:10 PM

The shop I use matched Tire Rack's price and charged $60 to mount and road force balance the set. 18" wheels.

Gforrest2 12-21-2010 03:39 PM

Up here, $20 - $25 is the going rate to dismount, mount, and balance a low profile tire. I had Discount Tire do mine this summer and I think I paid $20.

schnellman 12-21-2010 05:47 PM

Four tires dismounted, four new tires mounted and balanced with new stems. Total of $95.85 in the Dayton, OH area.

coreseller 12-21-2010 06:01 PM

Being an elcheapo at heart I've gone that route a few times in the past on tire mounting / balancing, more often than not I ended up paying for it through balance issues / shimmies or buggared up wheels courtesy of $7/hr. Melvin. Now I suck it up and pay full rate at reputable shops, $20 to $25 per is the going rate for quality work around me.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 12-21-2010 08:41 PM

Sounds like Melvin is the one getting ripped-off. Isn't minimum wage $7.25 ? :rolleyes:

fatmike 12-22-2010 07:09 AM

Perfect -- I used Euro Tire recently on Route 46 (Fairfield)? THey charged something like $25 per tire (I don't really remember), but I ended up have some wheels straightened and they didn't charge me to dis-mount and re-mount since I bought the tires from them.

The value of a shop that can get the wobble out -- priceless...

yelojkt 12-22-2010 07:50 AM

You got to pay to play. We do not drive ordinary average cars. Therefor it is going to cost us more for labor. Instead of paying Melvin (who drives a beat-up POS saturn) to throw some rubber on some hubcap covered steelies or dime-a-dozen curbrashed factory alloys we are paying Aaron who works at the bimmer lot (drives a lowered GTI with 2 grand or more worth of wheels and tires) to take his time and mount and balance our wheels with like he would his own. :cheers:

I hate it just as much as you but it's that of back to the 98 ford taraus DD. :barf: