986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Why are Porsches so rare? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27204-why-porsches-so-rare.html)

DerrickCaracter 12-18-2010 10:20 PM

Why are Porsches so rare?

(................)

vath2001 12-19-2010 02:33 AM

I don't think I would say rare. Ferrari, Maseriti... those I would call rare. I would call Porsche "un-common", compared to a Chevy or Ford. Its a two seat sports car, in a world of SUV's and Minvans. In parts of the US... aka snowbelts.. they have a 6 month driving window. Thats my humble opinion.

Flavor 987S 12-19-2010 03:30 AM

Like most things, limited availability, and high desirability.

There are some very rare Porsches.

I would not consider the Boxster rare. There are some very rare 911's, for example.

blue2000s 12-19-2010 04:14 AM

They weren't left to cook as long as the medium or well done ones.

DerrickCaracter 12-19-2010 05:39 AM

It must simply be that they are in limited supply....I'm not complaining though

jwade 12-19-2010 06:07 AM

I think it depends on where you live. I see you are in KY. Might have a better chance of seeing p-cars in Lexington and Louisville areas for sure.

If you lived in LA, NYC, Miami and some other large metro environments, you would see p-cars daily...

One of the worst things I saw one time was in NYC. A 911 S cab was in a parking lot downtown up on racks.. (it's what they do there to conserve space)

It looked pretty new, but was scuffed all to hell from the abuse of simply daily parking. I thought to myself "Good god, someone must have money to burn putting such a nice car to shame by leaving it outside 24/7 in a damn parking lot in downtown New York City"...

I live in Clarksville, Tn and although close to Nashville, I have only spotted a couple other p-cars in my neck of the woods.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 12-19-2010 06:18 AM

Simple: Price and target market.

How many families can afford to buy or use a $60K 2 seater or $100K 4 seater ? If a Porsche wasn't still a great car when it is 10 years old, I could not afford to own mine.

Mark_T 12-19-2010 07:09 AM

According to a May/09 article in the Winnipeg Free Press, there are 453 Porsche cars insured here in Manitoba, owned by 423 individuals, 100 of which are PCA members. Manitoba has a population of approx 1.1 million. The City of Winnipeg accounts for approximately 650K of that. We have one Porsche dealership and 2 or 3 indies.

schnellman 12-19-2010 08:49 AM

When I moved to Germany I had expectations of an autobahn full of Porsche's and BMW's, Maserati's and Mercedes SL's. What I found was a lot of Fords, Opels, Fiats, and Citroens. Most of the Mercedes were low-end models not found in the US. The autobahn blasters were primarily the large Mercedes and the BMW 700 series. I've seen more P cars on the 401 near LA than I did near Frankfurt. On my latest trip to CA I was cruising north on the 101 near Santa Barbara when a Panamera went flying by followed closely by an Audi R8 and a Maserati Quattroporte. As for rural America, hen's teeth are far more common than a high-end Porsche. I now live north of Dayton, Ohio and know the half dozen Porsches in this area on sight and they include a 911T, a 914, a 356, and two Boxsters.

jcb986 12-19-2010 09:53 AM

In Europe they want 4-seater sedans that get great gas mileage and can be serviced anywhere. A liter of regular over there is about $4 maybe higher now. Also space is very limited and usually one car is all a family can afford. Me, I have 3 auto's and plenty of room to park and roads to drive on. We are blessed as a people to have so many choices and able to enjoy life. Since I have bought Boxster, I usually will see one every other day or so. Seems when you by something you then notice more of em. :cheers:

Steve Tinker 12-19-2010 01:04 PM

Here in Australia we have a total population of just over 20 million people, 143 million kangaroos and only 7 Porsche Centres - all of them in the 6 major mainland cities.
Thats why P cars here are as rare as hobby horse sh@*.
There's absolutely no truth that its because a new Boxster (base) costs $115,000 or a Boxster S is stickered at nearly $150,000. Heaven knows what a new Carrera sells for.....
Nah, its not the cost at all which makes them rare.... :rolleyes:

ChrisZang 12-19-2010 03:48 PM

where I live (Northern CA) you see more Porsche than Honda Civic

jbs986 12-19-2010 05:01 PM

There is ton of them were I live :)

thstone 12-19-2010 08:06 PM

Here in LA there are Porsche's everywhere. Almost a dime a dozen.

Soetekouw 12-20-2010 04:53 AM

In Alabama,/Tennessee they are also a dime a dozen.

Usually, if you don't own the particular type of car, you won't be looking for it as you drive. I notice that when I am driving my Porsche, I notice other Porsches. When I drive my truck, I don't really notices Porsches. But they are out there. So, really, they are not rare, maybe, at times, invisible.

Ray 12-20-2010 03:31 PM

I now live in the richest (per capita) county in the country (Fairfax, VA) and I see about 1 a day...

J'sboxie 12-22-2010 07:34 AM

on the island

here we have around 15 911's and around 6 boxies on the island...after crossing over to the mainland, that % of seeing them goes to 0. Around here, people tend to have either suv's...yuck...or in the inner city, you have the 500$ cars with 5000$ rims....go figure :rolleyes:

can anyone explain to me how you can buy an olds 88 that has been beat up to hell...dents,headlights falling out, smoking like cheech and chong with 6000$ radios and 5000$ 30" or whatever rims??????

ps...not a knock on cheech and chong...they were very good to watch in college...as long as I could keep my eyes open,lol :D just don't spill the water, i did in my van once in school...nice to have to explain that "smell" going home to see the folks :rolleyes: ...hahahaha...sorry I could not help it :D

ps...merry christmas to all and happy new year...happy boxing!!!

yelojkt 12-22-2010 08:06 AM

I saw two boxsters a couple days ago within a few minutes of each other. It's probably been a month or more since I had seen one and I have not seen one since. I would say I see 1 - 4 a month, not bad for the amount of numbers of them sold and factoring in that half of the US imported numbers went to California and Florida. :D