Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

2000 auto will not go into gear. Where should I start?

My wife recently picked up a 2000 Boxster (non S) (80K miles) with Tiptronic auto trans. She was driving one day stopped at a light and it didn't move again. Police and tow truck driver tried to shift it into all gears without any motion. Had the car towed home. Appears like the shifter has lost communication with the gear box. I did notice one time I drove it that I put it in gear and it sat there for a second or two then bam jumped into gear. What DIY items should I look at before I have it towed to a shop? Thanks in advance for any and all replys. Mike

magicbigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
JTP

Sounds like a bad torque converter. Same thing happened in my Ford, but I don't know anything about Porsche Tips.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #3

Quick update. I went out and tried it today and it shifted into gear and drove fine. I think my next step is to do the filter, fluid service on the tranny. Maybe I am lucky and the fluid is low. Any other advice is welcomed. Mike
Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #4

Sometimes the gear shift cable stretches -- you can look at tightening it.

Had a 99 Tip did same thing.

Mechanic tightened the cable -- and viola -- perfect behavior.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #5

I believe there is a switch at the TIP which can get corroded and cause the same symptoms. Another forum member posted this fix a few weeks back.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #6

More issues after tiptronic fluid change

Again, I am new to the 968 cars. Myself and a tech changed the fluid in the tiptronic as per tips on this forum etc., we used the correct ZF fluid etc. 1st test drive seemed OK about a mile. Test drove again about a mile then problems began. Here is what we found,
Old fluid was a dark mocha color as if possibly water in the fluid?
Drove the car after fluid change and it shifted well thru 3rd gear - when it went to 4th nothing happened - no 4th or 5th gear. The indicator on the dash flashed between Man and Auto over and over. Then check engine light came on. Checked the code with a reader and it indicated "4th gear incorrect" reset the check engine light. Turned car off and started again drove the car, when it tried to shift into 4th the indicator lights flashed again and no 4th gear either manually or in auto mode. No check engine light yet.

Only other infomation is that the car was from CA and now in the NW (Seattle) and has been outside and we have had alot of rain. Inside of car has a bit of condensation.

Thanks in advance for any input, Mike
Old 12-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #7

Did you check the electronic connection plug on the TIP. It plugs in under the car so you can remove the TIP. You may have moisture or water there...use a top quality electrical contact cleaner if necessary. The ECU under the drivers set needs to be checked by a Porcshe dealer. If it's bad the cost is around $1500. Now, if your TIP is bad, look for a used one at a Porsche dismantler. Mike, my fluid was the same color...you should have drained the fluid very well and it should have only taken 6-7 liters of fluid...ONLY that since you cannot drained the converter or fluid from the front oil cooler.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #8

"We have had alot of rain. "

Alot??? Major flooding, mudslides, 6.8 inches of rain for this month and its only the 18th. I must have missed something.
Thinking about installing my spare bilge pump in the car except it's got a plastic impeller too!
And it's raining as I type this. (Guess it's better than snow. Having fun on the East Coast?)

Last edited by Spinnaker; 12-18-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote