Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #1

Headlight question

Hey all, I did a search already. But I'm not sure anyone has directly answered the question(s) I have.

First off, I'm looking at an 01 Box S. As I understand it, this car came with factory HIDs, correct? First partial question, are these the same as the Litronics I keep seeing people refer too?

Next, the amber signal indicator below the headlight housing is the thing that bugs me the most about the looks of a Box. Esp, on the silver car i'm looking at.

So, here's my actual question(s): what are my options to get rid of the amber?
1) Amberectomy....
a) How is this done?
2) OEM clear headlights
3) OEM Litronics

From my research, these are what I've found. Am I missing something? For option 2 or 3, where can I find these parts?

Sort of related question, where can I find a set of clear sidemarker?

thanks
Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #2

"First off, I'm looking at an 01 Box S. As I understand it, this car came with factory HIDs, correct? First partial question, are these the same as the Litronics I keep seeing people refer too?"

No, not the same lights!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:53 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SRA2005 Send a message via Yahoo to SRA2005
so all boxsters that have h.id. from the factory have autoleveling? when u turn ur car on at it the light goes up and down and goes back level.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #4

If the headlamps need the amberectomy - then they're not Litronics. I was all ready to brandish the needle nose pliers, then found out I didn't have to?! It's like a rumor about a pervert moving into the neighborhood - you buy a gun before it even happens...

I don't have the code here at home, but look under the front hood for all the option codes - that will tell you real quick 'what you have'.

Alzo, Google (search here first..) amberectomy - there have been a number of people who made photo guides of the process.

...and I'm not sure if the std. lamps self-level?!

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to SRA2005 Send a message via Yahoo to SRA2005
i know that the cayenne has autoleveling installed. can somebody confirm this?

its so expensive to purchase litronic headlights. i know i can save money without having to buy the litronic headlights by retrofitting a headlight projector preferrably bi-xenon from a bmw 7 series or nissan maximas and fabricate it into a halogen headamp so it would look custom looking if not even better! I have done it to my car already. its $15 dollars to make a harness and 300 for the projectors and ballast with ignitors.

if i can find a salvaged boxster headlight i'll go into it try it out.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #6

Talking

Try LA Dismantlers for the headlight.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA2005

its so expensive to purchase litronic headlights. i know i can save money without having to buy the litronic headlights by retrofitting a headlight projector preferrably bi-xenon from a bmw 7 series or nissan maximas and fabricate it into a halogen headamp so it would look custom looking if not even better! I have done it to my car already. its $15 dollars to make a harness and 300 for the projectors and ballast with ignitors.

if i can find a salvaged boxster headlight i'll go into it try it out.
It's also illegal because the halogen reflector won't create the proper light pattern, nor will you be likely to get the lamp leveling hardware to work properly.

In short, you won't be D.O.T. approved, you'll scatter glare at people around you, you'll have an improperly focused light beam with possible poor illumination, and you'll be vulnerable to getting a fix-it ticket.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA2005
If I recall correctly, the Cayenne and 911 uses sensors inside the SUV cabin to help determine level changes. Its not just the headlamps themselves.
Telling someone I know that he needed to put extra senors in his 911 to make his litronics work correctly.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote