Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Decided to drive my Boxster S in the New England Winter!

Before you try to talk me out of it .... take a look at these..

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2006/01/23/winter-test-2005-porsche-boxster.htm

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/07q2/2005_porsche_boxster_s-long-term_road_test/performance_page_4

I'm going to be using Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-60 on 18" rims.

2005 BMW 325i - White (Business)

Last edited by 2001boxsters; 11-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
2001boxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
JTP

I'm all for it! If you have proper tires you shouldn't have a problem till the snow depth becomes a problem. I drove my '83 Supra and '85 928S throughout the NE winters during the '80s and there were only a handful of times when I thought, 'oh $hit! Why am I driving this in the snow'. Drove those cars to VT to ski a few times. Just remember to rinse off the underbody whener possible. There were a few Porsches that drove year round in Alaska when I lived there too. Properly setup the did very well in the snow and cold. I'm in Maryland now and have no plans to store my Boxster this winter.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

What tires are you going to use JP?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I'm all for it! If you have proper tires you shouldn't have a problem till the snow depth becomes a problem. I drove my '83 Supra and '85 928S throughout the NE winters during the '80s and there were only a handful of times when I thought, 'oh $hit! Why am I driving this in the snow'. Drove those cars to VT to ski a few times. Just remember to rinse off the underbody whener possible. There were a few Porsches that drove year round in Alaska when I lived there too. Properly setup the did very well in the snow and cold. I'm in Maryland now and have no plans to store my Boxster this winter.
this reply about says it all
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
JTP

Ideally I would have liked dedicated snow tires on separate 17" rims but I don't have the luxury right now so I just got a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS performance all seasons. Tire Rack gave very good reviews on it. They do have softer sidewalls though and it was noticeable the first day I drove on them. So far I've noticed very good traction on cold wet roads. I drive to Buffalo about 1-2 times per month so when I hit snow in the next few weeks I'll let you know how they do.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #6

Go to an empty parking lot and enjoy!
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Ideally I would have liked dedicated snow tires on separate 17" rims but I don't have the luxury right now so I just got a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS performance all seasons. Tire Rack gave very good reviews on it. They do have softer sidewalls though and it was noticeable the first day I drove on them. So far I've noticed very good traction on cold wet roads. I drive to Buffalo about 1-2 times per month so when I hit snow in the next few weeks I'll let you know how they do.
Those tires will stick to dry/wet roads down to 20 degrees just fine and even do ok in a dusting of snow or modest slush.

On this car, they will not do well at all in 1-2 inches of snow, packed snow, snow + ice, or most other common conditions in the winter in that area. Those tires get "good" snow reviews for dealing with 1-2 inches on 3200 pound cars with far narrower tires than yours and with FWD.

Do not expect those tires to provide you with safe transportation on anything but plowed, salted roads with minimal accumulation.

Sorry to be a bad news bear, I'm just forewarning you...

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Those tires will stick to dry/wet roads down to 20 degrees just fine and even do ok in a dusting of snow or modest slush.

On this car, they will not do well at all in 1-2 inches of snow, packed snow, snow + ice, or most other common conditions in the winter in that area. Those tires get "good" snow reviews for dealing with 1-2 inches on 3200 pound cars with far narrower tires than yours and with FWD.

Do not expect those tires to provide you with safe transportation on anything but plowed, salted roads with minimal accumulation.

Sorry to be a bad news bear, I'm just forewarning you...

Joe
Thanks Joe, I never expected the Boxster to handle in the snow like my FWD Golf does. I know I won't driving like normal in the winter, rather I expected the tires to allow me to crawl through the snow as needed. Anything more than 2-3 inches and it won't matter what tires are on the car. It doesn't mean a Porsche has to be parked through the winter, you need to exercise judgement when venturing out in the winter in any car but particularly in a Boxster.
I've been driving since '84 and spent many winters in the NE, Buffalo, and Alaska so I'm not new to winter conditions. I also have my VW GTI and a '74 Bronco for those heavy snow days.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #9

I find the Boxster to be terrific in the snow.

When it slides (usually intentionally based on the driver's input), its very predictable. I find it tracks very straight, and also climbs hills exceptionally well for a RWD car.

I run dedicated snow tires on 17" wheels.

The Boxster is night-and-day better in the snow than any BMW I've owned. I believe its better than my wife's FWD Honda with all-season tires.

/
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
I find the Boxster to be terrific in the snow.

When it slides (usually intentionally based on the driver's input), its very predictable. I find it tracks very straight, and also climbs hills exceptionally well for a RWD car.

I run dedicated snow tires on 17" wheels.

The Boxster is night-and-day better in the snow than any BMW I've owned. I believe its better than my wife's FWD Honda with all-season tires.

/
Wow that makes me feel a lot better! I will also be runnin 17" alloys with Winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25/60)

I found my BMW to be very good in snow with just Conti Pro Contacts. I went up a 45 degree grade in a blizzard without any slip. If the porsche is better thats just awesome!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
The Boxster is night-and-day better in the snow than any BMW I've owned.
/
FR layout is the worst layout for snow. Of course they sell BMWs with all-wheel-drive now.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #12

Nokians on the Boxster

I bought a set of used 16" OEM rims and just had a set of Nokian WR's mounted. I have had these tires on my 03 BMW 530i and love them. They're not all out snow tires but pushed that rear wheel drive/front engined car thru some pretty heavy snowstorms. The Nokians are also Porsche approved for winter tires.
DennisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #13

Garage

Now if only Top Gear can get a Boxster to the north pole!
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
JTP

You can try these genuine Tequipment chains:
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186

Now if only Top Gear can get a Boxster to the north pole!

I am such a Top Gear Fan!

Anyways, just one word............ WINTERTIRES!!!! And you are good to go, this from a Utah guy.

I drove FWD (GTi), RWD (BMW), AWD (TReg etc.) and what not, incl. a C4 and a C2 (thats Porsches, guys), all with wintertires, and it works very well.

I also like the parkinglot advice, do this with the family incl, kids all the time.
Later,
Andy
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #16

I just worry about the soft back window in the cold temps. As for snow travel there is on substitute for QUATTRO. My old URS4 will go just about anywhere until the snow manages to clear the hood. There is a guy i work with though that runs his 996 C4S all year round. With the right tires I would expect our mid-engined 986's to go very well. They get great traction. It would be the stopping and turning part i would be skeptical of.
stuklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuklr
I just worry about the soft back window in the cold temps.
as long as you don't try yo operate the top and be careful when clearing the snow off you shouldn't have a problem. I used my soft top Bronco in -30F temps and my windows never broke. Top was not new either.