Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Red Seat Belt upgrade Question..

I have a '98 with the original seatbelts and would like to convert to the red belts. Retractors were made for 1997-2001 under one PN; and, made for 2002-present under a second part number.

When I look at the Suncoast site ( http://www.****************************************************.com/product/BoxsterBeltSet.html?Category_Code=986seat)

they sell the retractors with red belts for 2002-, the earlier years are not shown.

Does this mean there is a compatibility issue here ? Perhaps someone has done this on a pre 2002 Boxster.

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

Followup: Went over to Einmalig Porsche today and looked at various retractors. When I pulled the webbing all the way out, I could see the end of the webbing is held in place just like the 914 retractors. This means I can make the color change by changing out the webbing and have the hardware resewed at an approved place.
Each side had 10' of webbing. Seat Belt Pros
( http://www.gotbelts.com/colorchart.html)

sell it by the yard in a variety of colors.

Did this with my 914, and it worked well.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

Garage
beat me to the punch... I have been doing the same thing.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
beat me to the punch... I have been doing the same thing.

Have you completed the re-webbing ?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

Garage
not yet i need to get the webbing. I will sew it myself. (probably) with the biggest and strongest nylon thread I can get and use in my machine.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #6

Update: Finished the conversion to the Red Belts yesterday. Bought 8 yards of Flame Red 2" webbing from seatbelt pros.com ; then took the webbing to local upholstery shop. Took 2 hours of shop time to complete the job. My total cost was $50 for the webbing and $120 in labor, about 1/2 the price of the new belts in the retractors. Had I just taken the belts/retractors to upholsterer, would have cost $70

Will post a pic when the sun comes out...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #7

Garage
so after a brief trial period hows it going with the new belts? still happy?

any pics!? :troll:
Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #8

FYI, the reason for the different PNs is that from '02 onward, the seatbelts had pyrotechnic retractors to 'cinch' up the belts if the airbags were deployed. These will not work in earlier cars because the wiring harness is missing and the DME is different.

The early cars used an inertia reel to 'lock' the seatbelts when significant force was applied to the belts (such as the weight of a passenger thrust forward). But, they only 'lock' and don't actually retract to snug the occupant in.

If you tried using the pyro type retractors without the wiring and brain to fire the charge on impact, they would not retain you at all and you go flying into the airbag, dash and windshield before you ran out of excess belt - as in wearing no seatbelt at all.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-02-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
so after a brief trial period hows it going with the new belts? still happy?

any pics!? :troll:
My apologies, I'll get a pic tomorrow. The change to the red webbing was easier than anticipated and they work fine. I'll get a pic up tomorrow, we've had crappy weather with fog....not the best for pics.

The retractors looked just like the one on the 914....
Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #10

The sun came out and I finaaly got some pics of the red seat belts:
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #11

Nuther...from the side
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #12

And lastly...
Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thumbs up

Great job! ...and at a much better price than what Porsche charges.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #14

Pretty darn cool

To keep the thread alive: Attached is a pic of my red belts
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
FYI, the reason for the different PNs is that from '02 onward, the seatbelts had pyrotechnic retractors to 'cinch' up the belts if the airbags were deployed. These will not work in earlier cars because the wiring harness is missing and the DME is different.

The early cars used an inertia reel to 'lock' the seatbelts when significant force was applied to the belts (such as the weight of a passenger thrust forward). But, they only 'lock' and don't actually retract to snug the occupant in.

If you tried using the pyro type retractors without the wiring and brain to fire the charge on impact, they would not retain you at all and you go flying into the airbag, dash and windshield before you ran out of excess belt - as in wearing no seatbelt at all.

Cheers!
Hi, when I ordered red seat belts for my 99 I got the later model with the pyro retractors. I asked about this, and was told that this part supersedes the older model and that it would just install without the wiring. When I pull hard on it, it does retain. It just don't have a working retractor to pull you back - so in effect operate like the original one.

Atle
My car and mods: My vision completed. Mod bug bit HARD.
attasvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #16

Garage
just ordered my fabric today from GotBelts I got the normal red, flame red looked tempting but it was a risk. Also ordered the two plastic button things that keep the male end from going all the way to floor.

im excited total price 49 bones for 7 yards and the two stops shipped.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #17

Can this process be done for the 02+ models? If so, does it require any changes in retrofitting procedure?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #18

Garage
Its actually easy to do I believe on any model. Essentially once you unwind the belt all the way you will see that there is a spindle. the belt goes through the middle of the spindle and has a loop with a plastic rod in it. what this does is keep the belt from being pulled from the spindle. so you can stick a screw driver in there( worked for me) or anthing to keep it from retracting. once you have done that you just push the belt instead of pull and you will be able to pull the little rod out of the loop in the belt. from there you can just pull the belt out since there is nothing to stop it. it sounds complicated but once you see it you will be like " well no **************** that was easy" if you have the new belts already sewn you just put on the old hardware (anchor buckle etc) and feed the new belt where the old one came replace the rod remove your stopper (screwdriver) and let it wind back up. ill be doing this in a few days and ill do a step by step.

one thing that will make it easy for me is i have a free set of belts so I can prep all the hardware and belt fabric so when I go to put it in my car i wont even have to remove the spindle (best case scenario) and if its a little cramped ill pull it out and do it real quick and put it back in.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #19

Garage
Just FINALLY got everything all sorted received my fabric and had it sewn. Tomorrow Ill be putting it all in the car with a nice tidy DIY with some good pics to boot.

just a lil bit of teaser info. for the belts shipped to my place from suncoast it would have been 535 dollars. for me it cost me 73 dollars in the car!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #20

Awesome!!!

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote