Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #1

New brake parts went in yesterday .. but .. car feels a bit slower ..

Like the title said, all these parts went in this weekend and maybe I'm imagining it, but it feel like the car is a bit slower.

Took the wheels off to inspect and I saw that the pad was sitting on the rotors. Or at least that is what it looks like.

Wheel does turn by hand and I'm able to push the car in neutral so I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this slowness.

Is this normal or did the shop mess up somehow ?

Attached Images

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #2

Here are all the parts that went in.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

I think it's in your head. I don't believe there are any V springs that pushes the pads away from the rotors which my Toyota brakes did have.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #4

Could the shop have over adjusted the hand brake?
Do the rear wheels turn OK (though not as freely as the front wheels as you are turning the drive shafts). The hand brake operates a small internal drum type brake which is not visible without removing the disc.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #5

I'm not sure. I'm thinking Ekam is right and I'm just imagining this, but I'll go ahead and lift up the rear wheels to test tomorrow.

I think the rears will turn too since I'm able to push the car in neutral.

Thanks guys!
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #6

going out on a limb here, but if your rotors were really used up (deep lip on rotors) and you are extremely sensitive, there is a measurable amount of un-sprung weight you just added to the wheel assembly... but you are probably just imagining it

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #7

Kabel, I reeally really wish that I was that in tune with the car that I could sense a small bit of added un sprung weight. LOL.

Although I was pretty surprised how heavy those new rotors are, I don't have the stock ones to compare to anymore.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #8

It's in your head.

By the way, if you have the chops to jack up the car and take off the wheels, you did about 80% of the work you paid the shop to do. Boxster brakes are by far the easiest I've ever done. Consider doing it yourself next time and banking the difference.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
If you have the chops to jack up the car and take off the wheels, you did about 80% of the work you paid the shop to do. Boxster brakes are by far the easiest I've ever done. Consider doing it yourself next time and banking the difference.
+1 big time!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
It's in your head.

By the way, if you have the chops to jack up the car and take off the wheels, you did about 80% of the work you paid the shop to do. Boxster brakes are by far the easiest I've ever done. Consider doing it yourself next time and banking the difference.
Yeah. I realize that brake pad / rotors are not very hard to DIY, but I wanted to get the stainless steel lines in too. Draining the fluid seemed like a PITA to me. Next time its just pads / rotors I'll do myself.

I guess chalk this up to it all being in my head. I guess its a good thing that I even 'noticed' the addition of a little unsprung weight.

I'm on my way to becoming a 1337 racing driver ! LOL

Last edited by vijen6; 11-13-2010 at 09:15 AM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote