Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #1

Angry DRAT ! Instrument Cluster !!!!

So the instrument cluster on my 2000 decided to just stop working. 67K miles.

Indy says dealer must replace. $2700 for a new one plus 3 hrs to put in. Dealer says no used clusters.

I say DRAT !!! First of all, how the heck does an Instrument cluster fail on a premium automobile anyway? Second of all, why does it cost as much as a used VW (okay never mind - I think I know why) third of all... well I can't think of a third, the first two still have me too upset.

So whats the real word? Can a used cluster be installed and keyed into the computer? Any tips where to find one? Anyone else have this happen?

Very dissapointing !

p_owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #2

Yes, people have swapped clusters plenty of times. There are some tricks, eg the milage of the vehicle is stored in the cluster. You'd probably want to go through and independent shop to get it swapped properly.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Now that I've calmed down and looked around I can see some on ebay for ~$300.

I'll have to do my research and see which one I need. I have the white-faced gauges, 2.7 manual so I'll want a match if possible. If anyone has any good links about cluster info, that would be great.

So... Bothell, eh? Do you have a recommended indy?

Thanks !
p_owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

This is an easy D.I.Y job, no way in hell it takes 3 hours! there are links on here on how to remove your cluster. I had to remove mine to replase a bad lightbulb.

Did it in 20 Min. if that

jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote