Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Airbag CEL - AVOIDING IT!

This is a question I should know the answer to but, off the top of my head, I don't. I'm getting ready to do some work on the Box, some of which involves working from inside the car. I remember oh-so-vividly paying a Porsche dealership like $100 to "check the air bags and reset the CEL". (As far as I'm concerned, the airbags were fine...I just wanted the damn idiot light shut off!!)

If I disconnect the battery before taking out the passenger seat and don't re-connect it until after the job's done and the under-seat harness is re-connected again, will I avoid the pesky CEL? If not, IS there some way to pull the seat out and still avoid that problem?

Also, since my last experience with this, I have picked up an Actron pocket scanner. I think I do know the answer to this one, but can it reset the airbag CEL? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is "No".)

Thanks in advance.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #2

From what I heard, disconnectring the battery while you do your work will prevent the Airbag Light to come on..

If you play alot with your car, get yourself a Durametric Cable.. it will allow you to disagnostic everything of your car and Reset that AirbagLight yourself..

Think about it.. it pays itself..
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Disconnecting the battery before doing the work should prevent any issues. The Actron will not clear air bag CEL's, for that you need either a PIWIS or Durametric....
Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #4

from what i've read and what i've done when removing wheel and airbag is to first remove (-) terminal battery side and wait 10 min so that there is no more juice in the system.. after 10 min you should be good and do not reconnect the cable unless you have put everything back together and all connections made...

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote