Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #1

you shouldn't expect to get back what you put in

so i know there was a thread like this a while back that randall started - i think his was dealing more with the price of a car and if someone would be crazy enough to buy it...

anyway, i was looking through the local craigslist and spotted an '03 boxster (base) with 10,500 miles and the guy (2nd owner) is asking $20k for it based on the mods that he's done including:

body kit - $6000
18" wheels - $4000 (not something i'd consider a mod)
steering wheel - $2500
new stereo...

i'm wondering what people who know they will be selling their boxster at some point in the future expect to get back from their "investments". would you think you'd get 10% over what the next non-modded boxster is selling for? do you not even expect to get anything back?

just based on the few things i've done i don't expect anything "over and above" what anyone else would ask for their stock car...

the problem with modifications is they seem to be pretty personal - at least he hadn't painted it lime green with purple leather interior...yet.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

Totally agreed, you can probably expect to recover 25% (at best) the value of mods
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #3

It really depends on the "mods" made to the car - a Raby built 3.6 engine mod has a totally different return cost to a purple leather interior....

We've seen many times on Forums pictures of some idiots idea of upgrades which (at least) cause laughter and (usually) ridicule from all.
As tonycarrion says its very personal, especially if the mods are visual (purple leather) or sensible (IMS upgrade).

Call me old fashioned, but many people who are shopping for a particular vehicle seem to always say that they are looking for a low mileage, original & unmodified car. And this is born out when it comes to trade in time - unless its a genuine factory upgrade like GT3 kit, most dealer will knock $$ off the car because difficult to remove mods = difficult to move cars.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

Agreed. When I spend $ on mods, either I keep the stock parts to put back on the car when it comes time to sell, or consider the $ a lost. Spent for MY OWN enjoyment of the car.

Taking off the part and reselling it as use part usually net higher prices when sold individually than as part of the car anyways. Usually.

Same with maintenance $ in my own experience. If I know I'm about to sell a car, I don't do much more maintenance. For example, if the car needs brakes, I'll 'negotiate' $1000 off the car so they can replace it themselves. Most buyers seems to prefer getting this 'deal' even if it works out to be exactly the same in the end.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

I don't care what the mod is, anyone thinking a car is a monetary investment better be buying something like a Hemi Cuda. Even then if purchased just for investment potential then I say what's the point? I always go to the IP car collection when in Vegas, after the fourth car I start thinking "what a waste and hey, where's the keys to this Alfa Romeo"?

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote