986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My trickle charger won't insert - any ideas? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26788-my-trickle-charger-wont-insert-any-ideas.html)

JoeFromPA 11-07-2010 02:17 PM

My trickle charger won't insert - any ideas?

Hi all,

Went to start the car today after a week of sitting in the cold garage - very rapid clicking but no turning over (wouldn't "crank"). Windows went up and down, but very slowly, so I knew battery power was low.

Thinking I could trickle my way out of it, I tried my trickle charger.

I won't insert though - it looks like it has about 1/2-3/4" left to go and it's not "seated"....it slides right out with the smallest pressure.

Now, this is a pretty idiot proof thing. So any ideas on WHY it wouldn't be allowing itself to go in?

A few weeks ago, I used a portable compressor that goes into the cigarette lighter - worked just fine.

I'm kinda sad too, as this Interstate battery is only ~2 years old - but I don't have the receipt on it. Any recommendations there?

Joe

JoeFromPA 11-07-2010 02:21 PM

Also, anything unusual about jumping the boxster?

JFP in PA 11-07-2010 02:51 PM

Yeah, you have the "European" cig lighter in the car and need the North American version. Order 997.652.101.00.A05 and 996.652.102.10 for about $23 and you will have everything you need to switch it over and have the maintainer actually work............

Burg Boxster 11-07-2010 03:13 PM

...in the mean time, either go for a direct connect to the battery or use a business card folded up (or something non-metallic) to keep it wedged in place. Don't forget to check the cells in the battery and add distilled water if needed, otherwise you'll quickly cook the battery instead of reviving it.

;)

mikefocke 11-07-2010 03:29 PM

But do maintainers charge a totally down

battery? I thought your battery had to be at a certain voltage (somewhere about 8v???) for the maintainer to actually detect that it needed a charge. This isn't like a real charger IIRC.

Said as one who left the dome light on his SUV on the other day and when he went out to change the time....was reminded that Honda radios need a security code too. Fortunately I had it and a charger. The Honda's lighter plug is not connected to the battery when the key isn't in so the maintainer would have to be battery connected with the Ctec/Porsche extra cost kit..

JoeFromPA 11-07-2010 03:29 PM

Gents,

This same trickle charger was previously used to bring this battery back to life a year ago when the horn went out and it was honking while in storage. It took 4-5 days of trickle-charging, but the battery then worked fine.

I have the right pieces, but it won't seat....

Bruce Wayne 11-08-2010 04:27 AM

"I won't insert though - it looks like it has about 1/2-3/4" left to go and it's not "seated"....it slides right out with the smallest pressure."

sounds like a size problem.. what does the wife think ? :p

blue2000s 11-08-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Gents,

This same trickle charger was previously used to bring this battery back to life a year ago when the horn went out and it was honking while in storage. It took 4-5 days of trickle-charging, but the battery then worked fine.

I have the right pieces, but it won't seat....

Did the compressor leave something behind or pull something out that it shouldn't have?

Bob O 11-08-2010 09:38 AM

Does the lighter element still fit snugly and get hot? Could it be something has happened to the charger plug....got banged up somehow?

Bob

JFP in PA 11-08-2010 09:56 AM

Early Boxsters (up to about 2002) had an eight-ball metric sized lighter and receptacle that does exactly what he is describing. Changing it over to the later lighter kit will permanently solve his problems.

Some maintainers are fully capable of recharging a dead battery (assuming the battery is capable of being charged), but they are usually the more expensive and highly featured units.......

jcb986 11-08-2010 11:27 AM

I have a standard American 6/12 Volt trickle charger with the battery connection. Works perfect...no problem.

JoeFromPA 11-08-2010 11:34 AM

Alright gents.....problem still exists, but damn if the trickle charger didn't charge up the boxster overnight.

I left it in there, barely hanging on ready to pop out any moment. And the thing apparently gave it a charge, because it started right up this morning.

Drove it 32 miles to work with lots of trips into the upper reaches, so hopefully the battery got a good workout.

Damndest thing...it DOESN'T FIT, but it still charged....

Also, I don't have a cigarette lighter. I just have a plastic knob that looks like a cigarette light, but is in reality just a plastic plug for the hole.