Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #1

Steering and Vibration Issues

I am sure that there are plenty of postings like this, but I wanted to so if there are any suggestions to my exact problems.

I have a vibration that increases with speed. Here are the details.

1.) Steering Wheel Vib
2.) Steering Wheel seems to wander a little
3.) Car tracks pretty straight, but probably needs an alignment.
4.) Lots of bump steer
5.) I took to the car an event that had me park in the grass. I was going VERY VERY slow. There was a little noise coming from the front end.
6.) Front end DOES NOT bounce like a worn strut would or at least not like a badly worn strut would.
7.) Just had the tires Road Force balanced and rotated. This helped alot, but still not gone.

Any suggestions on what it might be?

greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Doc

You had your tires rotated? What brand and size are they?
Fluellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluellen
You had your tires rotated? What brand and size are they?
By rotated I mean right to left.
Stock size 17 inch.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #4

Try checking the wheel lug torque. If, when they worked on the tires, they did not correctly torque the wheels it could cause this. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
Try checking the wheel lug torque. If, when they worked on the tires, they did not correctly torque the wheels it could cause this. Ed
I checked that already. It must be related to a failing part.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob
By rotated I mean right to left.
Stock size 17 inch.
It sounds like your tires are worn. Switching them from side to side I don't think is a good idea.

A new set of tires plus an alignment to prevent unnecessary wear patterns in the new tires is probably going to solve your problem.
Fluellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

I have similar issues. I just paid to have a wheel "trued". It was out of round. Makes a wobble/vibration similar to an out of balance condition.

My car isn't rolling 100% smooth yet, but my wheels are true and I have new tires that are expertly balanced. I may need to look at a wheel bearing next.

Good luck with your situation. It's a minor thing, but it can be maddening...
Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #8

Garage
check the wheel balancing.

my mother (yes... she liked my 6sp boxster so got a tiptronic one) had a similar problem, but fairly new tyres (conti's) took it down had the wheels balanced again problem solved.

the stick on weights can drop off, especially if there is a build up of dust and it hasnt been cleaned properly before adhesion.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne
check the wheel balancing.

my mother (yes... she liked my 6sp boxster so got a tiptronic one) had a similar problem, but fairly new tyres (conti's) took it down had the wheels balanced again problem solved.

the stick on weights can drop off, especially if there is a build up of dust and it hasnt been cleaned properly before adhesion.
Wheels were just balanced as I stated in the original post. It has to be a failing part as an out of balance wheel wouldn't cause large amounts of bump steer.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #10

I would look at the struts or a bushing going out on a control arm. You never said what year your Boxster is and how many miles it has on it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluellen
It sounds like your tires are worn. Switching them from side to side I don't think is a good idea.

A new set of tires plus an alignment to prevent unnecessary wear patterns in the new tires is probably going to solve your problem.
i agree......
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
i agree......
I went ahead and got new tires. The vibration only comes above 65mph now. It doesn't seem much better than before other than before 65pmh.

I do not yet get an alignment because I just don't want to waste $100 if there is a failed component.

This weekend I am going to pull off the tire and check around. Other than totally obvious bad parts, is there any specific ways to now if parts have failed like tie rod, control arms etc?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #13

jack a wheel up with the suspension loaded.....one hand at tire at nine oclock and the other at three oclock..push/pull look/feel for play...repeat at 12 oclock and 6 oclock look feel for play
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I have to say, I'm having a very similar problem since owning the car. I hope you don't mind me bumming off of your thread, greenerob.

I have very similar symptoms. My steering wheel shakes a lot only at speeds above 70, pretty much starting around 75 and increasing with speed. Anything lower and the car feels absolutely fine. It actually feels like the whole car is vibrating due to it, though I can't really tell if it is or if it just seems that way from me holding a shaking wheel. When I release the wheel, it has a pretty constant shimmy to it, but the car doesn't seem to follow along with it, and when I hold the wheel at neutral I can feel the wheel wandering very slightly in my hands, but the car doesn't seem to be doing so and tracks straight. If I had to isolate it where it feels like it's coming from, it feels like the vibration is coming from up at the right front.

To give a little history on the car besides the basics in my sig that may clue someone in to the potential issues, it was in an accident and sold at an auction as a repairable collision, where it ended up in the hands of the auto body shop owner from whom I bought it. It sat on his lot pretty much only moving from one parking space to another for a good 5 years prior to my ownership. And about a month ago I put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires at a local tire chain where the guys there take really good care of me and my cars so I know alignment and balance are right on. The tires are just getting to around 500 miles on them.

Could the right front wheel be slightly off due to the collision? What are other possibilities? Strut? Bad CV joint boot?

I'm really debating bringing it to the local Porsche dealer to have them look it over or to my own mechanic, just to at least try to isolate where the trouble is so I can go about getting the right things fixed.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #15

This thread sounds like the problems that I've been having with my '01 boxster as well.

I've got the tires (changed), rims (changed), control arms (ok), struts (ok), brake rotors (thin - waiting for parts), calipers (one side discovered sticking), wheel balancing (on/off wheel 4 or 5 times), alignment (done 3 times), wheel bearings (ok) done.

After all that, I've got the car progressively improved - vibration now comes at about 100mph and up (although not tested since the calipers rebuild). But the lower speed vibration is almost minimal now. Am now waiting to replace the rotors. I've read some threads in this forum where changing the rotors and bearings solved the problem, hence I checked that too.

Frankly, it's been a tiring exercise to try to resolve this vibration - I guess it has not deteriorated to the point where it's obvious where it's coming from, although I in my case the biggest improvements were from the dented rims (both front) and the sticking calipers. Can't really tell if these fixed the problem yet as I've yet to do another high speed run, but the low speed vibrations are pretty much gone.

In my case, the strange thing was that the vibration and instability was worse with bad roads. On smooth roads at lower speeds, there was sometimes minimal vibration - hence I thought it was the one of the control arms or tie rods but they checked out ok by 2 indies.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #16

Well, I got sick of dealing with it so I took it into the local indie shop.

They said that my wheel weights had fallen off in the front, I need and alignment and that my front right outer tie rod was shot. The price is $300 total plus tax. A little pricey a $50 part, 2 wheel balance and alignment but if it does fix it I will be as happy as a pig in ********************.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #17

Well they replaced the front right outer tie rod, road force balanced the front two tires and performed a 4 wheel alignment. The vibration seems to be gone, at least that is what my 100mph test run told me.
All in all, not too bad. They got me for $285 out the door.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #18

I had a very noticeable wobble at 72-77mph and couldnt figure out why. Today I took my car in for the some service (Oil Change and Registration was also due). After the tech had finished he said that my tires were all reading a little different pressure. He adjusted and I went on my way. Needless to say the car tracks perfect and is smooth as can be. When I got home I looked at my "trusty" tire pressure gauge on my compressor and it was actually bent so the pressure monitor would only come out to a certain point then it was stuck. I had not been able to read this for the past few months so I was a little off. When I say a little, it was not visible by looking at the tires, but it was enough to throw the ride out of balance.

That "trusty" pressure gauge has since been replaced. Oh, I explained this to my wife and she admitted to running over the hose/gauge a few months ago with her Hummer.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob
Well they replaced the front right outer tie rod, road force balanced the front two tires and performed a 4 wheel alignment. The vibration seems to be gone, at least that is what my 100mph test run told me.
All in all, not too bad. They got me for $285 out the door.
Well, I got it on a slightly less than perfectly smooth road and the vibration is back. Not nearly as bad, but this time it is coming from the left side. I argue that the tie rod on the left is shot too.

Back to the shop in the morning!!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #20

Bummer for sure.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote