Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Did the prices go up for the GAHH Glass Top??

I thought I remember seeing a GAHH glass top for like 650 or something like that in the winter time. Am I wrong or did the prices go up since?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Auto Tops Direct
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
2001 RUF 3800S

Nice! Do you have this? If so is there any difference with the GAHH?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #4

So far I have not made my purchase. I called both companies... and both are equally cagey about if the product is identical or not. I get a lot of techno speak about the bonding process, but both seem like the same exact thing (just different names). Even the pictures are the same. Not similiar, but the same exact pictures used on both websites.

My guess is that the tops are both made by Sierra Auto Tops and interiors.

The only difference i can find is the warranty on the window bonding.

Gahh - Lifetime

Auto Tops Direct - 5 Years

You have to decide if the price difference is worth the extra beans for the warranty.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #5

I have the GAHH top and if you read all "top" posts everybodys problem is with the rear window cracking. With that being said even though the new window is glass having a bonding problem will probably be a topic on here in a few years once these glass windows have had a chance to go through the real world test of us users.

Not many things on our cars have a warranty so I went for the extra piece of mind.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #6

how big of a PITA is the aftermarket glass tops in terms of engine bay access?

i have read that it makes it harder to get to the engine - but isit just a little harder or does it make it a nightmare?

am I going to get charged "extra" by the indie or the dealer for service - because they actually can't get into the cjjar, or will they end up having to remove the top to some degree to get into the engine bay?

just curious. my plastic window is cracked...not bad, but my homemade repair with silicone has failed. i can fix it again, but it's eventually going to be time to either have an upholstery shop sew in a new window for about $400 or buy a new top..

with labor..what is a new glass window top REALLY costing... whatg is installed price given that hte top itself costs about $600...
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
how big of a PITA is the aftermarket glass tops in terms of engine bay access?

i have read that it makes it harder to get to the engine - but isit just a little harder or does it make it a nightmare?

am I going to get charged "extra" by the indie or the dealer for service - because they actually can't get into the cjjar, or will they end up having to remove the top to some degree to get into the engine bay?

just curious. my plastic window is cracked...not bad, but my homemade repair with silicone has failed. i can fix it again, but it's eventually going to be time to either have an upholstery shop sew in a new window for about $400 or buy a new top..

with labor..what is a new glass window top REALLY costing... whatg is installed price given that hte top itself costs about $600...
I installed my top myself. Took all day.. and i mean all day. Would I do it again? Probably not but it is rewarding to look at. Its perfect and has held up well the past few months. I have had some service done and not been charged extra for it. Not sure why others are saying that. All I know is it has not cost me more.... yet. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #8

97 box, if I bought one would you help me swap mine out since you're well versed in doing it? I could pay you in beers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #9

97 Boxster,

What top did you use?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
97 box, if I bought one would you help me swap mine out since you're well versed in doing it? I could pay you in beers.
I dont drink, but I could certainly help if I am in town. Let me know and it would need to be a full day. Make sure to get the 3M adhesive spray recommended as well.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdefino
97 Boxster,

What top did you use?

I purchased the GAHH Glass window top with defroster. Lifetime warranty IMHO was worth the extra $$. Install took a complete day. My wife helped as well as you will need 2 hands. I read that a 3rd person is nice and comes in handy when you need the extra patience.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #12

Interesting. Did you confirm that they would honer the warranty if you installed it yourself? Did they provide you instructions?

When I called Gahh they told me that they would not warranty the top if I installed it myself. However Auto Tops Direct said they would and even provided installation instructions.

Gahh definitely has a satisfied customer base here on the board while nobody seems to have any info on Auto Tops Direct. A Google search pulls up good reviews on ATD if you look hard enough...

Having a hard time pulling the trigger. Wishing I wasn't the guinea pig.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdefino
Interesting. Did you confirm that they would honer the warranty if you installed it yourself? Did they provide you instructions?

When I called Gahh they told me that they would not warranty the top if I installed it myself. However Auto Tops Direct said they would and even provided installation instructions.

Gahh definitely has a satisfied customer base here on the board while nobody seems to have any info on Auto Tops Direct. A Google search pulls up good reviews on ATD if you look hard enough...

Having a hard time pulling the trigger. Wishing I wasn't the guinea pig.

I will check all my information on the purchase. I am out for a week so it will be a few days before I can get back with you. I am sure the top I purchased was the GAHH though. Hope I am not misleading you. I went through the same info as you and so I know how frustrating it is. Stay tuned for updated information.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #14

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has ordered from Auto Tops Direct.
When comparing the web pages from GAHH and Auto Tops Direct it seems like ATD is the same as GAHH. They are even using the same pictures as on the GAHH page.
This leads me to the question: Is ATD the "factory outlet" of GAHH?

So, I would like to know if anyone has a ATD top and if he has any experiences to share.

Thanks
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #15

I installed a glass window top from auto tops direct last year and have been very pleased with the results. It took me a full day to install, i could probably now install it in half a day. There are great installation instructions available on this site and on Mike Focke's site. Also search for Maurice as he provides invaluable expertise and help on installation. The auto tops direct top came from sierra designs. After a year the top is in great condition. I do prefer the glass window over the original plastic window. All in all I am pleased and have not had any issues with the top since installation.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
So, I would like to know if anyone has a ATD top and if he has any experiences to share.

Thanks
I also bought a top from Autotopsdirect earlier this year, but I went with the plastic window route.

The company's address is the same as GAHH's address, and when you get the shipping info from UPS, it has GAHH's name on it. So it is a GAHH top. The only difference is price.

My top looks great, and installed with no real issues.
It did take quite a large amount of time, so expect to use up your whole weekend if you want to be slow and meticulous, or if there are other things that need to be fixed in the car before it goes back together.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #17

Thanks for the responses.
I found a local guy here who did more than 100 installs with GAHH top, so I won't go the DIY route, but will order from ATD and have him install it

Thanks again
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Thanks for the responses.
I found a local guy here who did more than 100 installs with GAHH top, so I won't go the DIY route, but will order from ATD and have him install it

Thanks again
What top did you go with? Glass or? As dumb as this sounds, post some pics of how it turned out if you can. I've noticed a tiny little crack on my top by the stitching and was looking to replace it with glass eventually.