Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Great Experience with Porsche & Dealer Today!

Hello All!

I came home very happy from the dealer today, and just thought it deserved a little public attention!

I am new to my Boxster and new to Porsche altogether as of about a month ago. So far it has been great, but I did notice an ugly rattle sound coming from the back of the car. Based on the metal-rattly noise, I guessed it might be a heat shield or something that came loose. So I had the car at one of the local dealers to get a new key made, check on an CEL and investigate the rattle.

Turns out the rattle noise was a catalytic converter - and to replace it, was $1,600!!!!! Crapola!! I know the U.S. mandates a warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles, so I asked about it. The response was that my car was a 2002, but was put into service in 2001, so the warranty for the cat expired about 14 months ago.

After a bit of "Hmmmm.... Can you guys do anything to help me here.....?" The dealer (Maplewood Porsche in the Minneapolis MN area) contacted Porsche to see if they would offer me anything at all as a courtesy to a new Porsche enthusiast.

The good news is that Porsche is going to give me a new cat completely free, and Maplewood Porsche will install it for me for about $200!

Sweet deal! Especially after looking down the barrel of a $1,600 repair bill....

PS - The CEL was from a missing fuse for the air pump...Strange....But cheap fix, so another win!

Kelly

KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

I guess it's too late in the day to buy a lottery ticket.

Nice to have it work out your way once in a while.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

Wow! Good for you! That's totally cool.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #4

funny you bring this up.

I had exactly the same problem when I bought my Porsche 3 months ago. I know there is another forum user who had the same problem. All the cars seem to be around the same year. Is this just another one of those common problems that you experience with Boxsters?

Anyway no free Cat for me. I had to buy a used and fit myself. Porsche quoted $2.1k, I DIY'd it ... only cost $350.

Well done to you.