Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Garage
Battery condition question

I usually have our 06 on a trickle charger when not being driven on a regular basis. Lately, the trickle charger light seems to be on all the time, indicating it is charging the battery. This is the porsche plug in charger.
Had the car out today and drove it at highway speeds for 40 miles and when I returned and plugged the charger back in the light came on and was still on 3 hours later.

Since the battery is 5 years old I'm wondering if it's on it's way out. FWIW, the car started without drama and no lights came on.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive battery test tool?

thanks.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #2

You want a load tester, it can check the battery's ability to survive under load, its voltage, and can test the alternator's condition as well. About $45-55.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #3

I wouldn't even fool with it...it's life is beyond serviceable. Put the money towards a new battery, instead of wasting it on an instrument that confirms you need a new battery!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Advantages to owning the tool: You can periodically test any battery and get a "go/no go" reading long before it decides to leave you stranded in a snowy parking lot; and it works on any battery and charging system.............
Old 11-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

Simple question, but when was the last time you check the levels in each cell of the battery? Do it quickly if you never have before...

The original battery on my '99 Boxster lasted 10 years almost exactly to the day (b/c I'm not sure which day in 10/98 it was built ). Only during winter storage did I need to put it on a maintainer. Checked the level of it before putting away for 4-5 months, once again when taken out of hibernation, and mid-season: July-ish.

Top off the cells w/ distilled water as needed.

FWIW, after the OEM finally kicked, I replaced it w/ an Optima Red Top for more of a true maintenance free.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote