Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #1

Flashing coolant warning light.

Question regarding this - manual says it means either low coolant level or fault with engine compartment fan. My coolant level is fine (just above half way when cold) and the compartment fan works normally, too, I believe (I will double check this at the first opportunity).

Anyway, the coolant warning light flashed today. However, it only flashed on one out of three or four start ups. If there is a fault, does it only flash once, or will it continue to flash each time the car is started until the fault is addressed?

The car was caught in a monumental rain storm, so I think it might just be a quirk caused by moisture somewhere, but would be nice to know how the light is supposed to behave.

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #2

When my car's coolant is low the light will keep on flashing until I top off the reservoir.
Maybe the electrical connector at the bottom of the tank is loose.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

I had that happen once, and I spent some time carefully checking out everything it could be, but found nothing. It never happened again, so I put it down to a sensor glitch.

Mark
Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Weird. My overheat light started flashing today on the temp gauge and my gauge read 180 degrees. I cut the car off, then on and it went a away. I assume just a quirk.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #5

OK, turns out it probably is the coolant level. When I checked it after noticing the light the engine was nearly warmed up, which tends to push it up. It was reading 2/3rds up the scale. Checked it today when cold and it's just below the min mark. Sure enough I fired up and the light flashed.

One of my rads has a small leak, I think, so I've been expecting the level to drop. It's just taken longer than I thought it would so I kind of forgot about. Anyway, mystery solved.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster
Weird. My overheat light started flashing today on the temp gauge and my gauge read 180 degrees. I cut the car off, then on and it went a away. I assume just a quirk.
If that light is flashing it means your coolant is low.

If that light stays on(not flashing), then you're having over heating problems.

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote