Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

Remote-control standby question

My 2001 Boxster S is not going to be driven much at all this winter, so I have it on the Porsche battery maintainer in the garage...I am wondering about the remote-control key standby function, though.

If I understand the owner's manual correctly, after five days of non-use, to save the car's battery, the remote control function won't work anymore, and you have to manually unlock the door with the key, and THEN use the remote-control to deactivate the alarm before opening the door.

Is the above going to be true even though I have the car on the battery maintainer, eliminating the possibility of battery drain?

Thanks!

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

It will be disabled whether or not it's on a battery maintainer. Maintainer = tops up battery.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #3

When I have had mine on a maintainer

I haven't had the doors locked and so don't recall any "needs to do" or alarms when bringing the car out of hibernation. Top was up, windows up, trunks shut.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 AM   #4

Mine sits on the maintainer for months at a time, but I never lock the car...in fact, the key sits in the cubby hole in the car. Never had an issue doing it this way.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 AM   #5

Garage
The cars computer doesn't care if it's on a maintainer or not, it will shut down the alarm to conserve battery power. If your thinking that the voltage is being monitored by the computer and once it goes bellow a certain reading and shuts down is false. New battery's versus old battery's have different capacities and an old one will draw down faster giving only a day or two before disabling the alarm...if that was the case.

Porsche disables the alarm but your car is still protected because after manually unlocking the door the alarm is again activated and that's why it is a requirement to disable the alarm, with the fob, before opening the door. This insures you have the key in your possession and not a car thief going through the top to open the door.

P.S. I never lock mine, it stays locked up in my shop. Long term storage would worry me because of the thought of the key fob battery going dead.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-31-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
P.S. I never lock mine, it stays locked up in my shop. Long term storage would worry me because of the thought of the key fob battery going dead.
That's why you keep a spare key fob battery...?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #7

I change my key fob battery annually, just as a precaution; bad things happen when the battery goes dead.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I change my key fob battery annually, just as a precaution; bad things happen when the battery goes dead.
You'll be noticed when it goes dead.. you will loose some reach before it stop to cooeprate

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote