986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Driving on Texas Motor Speedway (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26634-driving-texas-motor-speedway.html)

texomawaves 10-25-2010 11:43 AM

Driving on Texas Motor Speedway

Has anyone done this? I'd like to try it sometime and find the top end speed of my car.... yes it sounds crazy, but I'd rather not do this on the interstate. So... red line is 6,500 rpm. I'm guessing that ought to get me 140 mph? What rpm/speed have you achieved?

Highlow 10-25-2010 11:47 AM

I've gotten to 133, I don't know the rpm.

btw, 133 was according to my car, so I'd say it was less than that.

Pat 10-25-2010 11:52 AM

150 should be easy
160 should be attainable

Jake D 10-25-2010 11:57 AM

Ive seen 137 before I let up.. Had more in it though

Fluellen 10-25-2010 12:16 PM

146mph is the top speed of your car, according to Porsche.

texomawaves 10-25-2010 12:29 PM

When running these speeds do you even look at the tach, or too focused on the road? Also how does the steering and handling feel... assuming a nice long "straight-away".

Pat 10-25-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluellen
146mph is the top speed of your car, according to Porsche.

DOH! Didn't see he had a non-S.

Pat 10-25-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves
When running these speeds do you even look at the tach, or too focused on the road? Also how does the steering and handling feel... assuming a nice long "straight-away".

The car doesn't feel nearly as planted over ~130 or 140. Could use more downforce front and rear.

Overdrive 10-25-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat
The car doesn't feel nearly as planted over ~130 or 140. Could use more downforce front and rear.

I guess that's when a GT3 front bumper and that rather large AeroKit spoiler comes in handy, eh? ;)

You'd think with that spoiler popping up nearly 90 degrees to the trunk lid would give you some serious downforce, and while I know it won't plant the car at its speed limit, you'd think something that angled would really mash down on the rear end with downforce.

Heheh...maybe lift the trunk lid up to a point and rig it to stay open...massive spoiler. :dance:

Highlow 10-25-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves

It's not rock solid but you won't get scared unless you're getting into the 150s.

Steering has some, but little, vibration but that could have been due to the road.

seningen 10-25-2010 05:05 PM

My 924S NA LeMons Car peters out at about 5700-5800 RPMS
in 4th gear running 255/40/R17s down the TWS straight
Aero drag limited :-(

Considering I've got maybe $2500 in the whole car including seats and cage,
what an incredible bang for the buck

Now if only I can get my 01 S track car finished!

m

Wingnut2u 10-25-2010 07:07 PM

I have driven at TMS and when you are in your own car they do not let you drive the entire oval, you drive what is called the Roval. It is a combination of the infield road course and the oval. You come out of the infield course and onto the main oval at turn 3, you get one turn and the main straightaway to reach top speed, then when you come into turn 1 you have to come back down to the apron for safety reasons. I was only able to get to 130 before I had to throttle it back down.

Trust me driving a couple feet off the wall at 130 mph will get your heart pumping.

A friend of mine did the Nascar experience at TMS and he was able to drive the entire oval in a Nascar and he said he got up to 150mph

Topless 10-26-2010 07:55 AM

For comparison my car hits 132mph (GPS) on the Fontana Roval course. The car feels rock solid rounding the banked turns 1&2 but still gets spooky for me. I don't want to blow a tire sidewall out there :eek: . I have a new found respect for the NASCAR guys bumping and rubbing paint out there at 160.

If you want to find your top speed go to the Texas Standing Mile that runs on an airstrip. A nice long, smooth, straight, legal, stretch of pavement is your best bet.

jmatta 10-26-2010 08:39 AM

I've done a lot of track driving and would never consider going that fast without a full roll cage, let along just a ragtop over my head! You guys can't be serious...

RandallNeighbour 10-26-2010 09:53 AM

Interesting factiod about TWS...

They don't allow car clubs to use just the oval (like NASCAR would use) because taking banked turns in only one direction lap after lap starves the motor of oil and burns up motors in short order. Cars designed to go around and around in one direction are evidently modded with more than just special alignment settings, but with large scavenge pumps and enlarged oil pans.

When I drove TWS last, which was nearly two years ago, I was only able to get to 115 simply because I didn't have enough straight track to drive faster and I wasn't skilled enough to come out of the last turn fast enough to hit the straightaway at speed.

However, I've sustained 161 mph in a new Carrera Cabriolet on the autobahn just outside of Berlin in 2001. It was quiet, smooth, and I really got the feeling that the car was built for it and "enjoying it."

161 mph was fast. The exits on the freeway went by like lamp posts between exits on US freeways at 70 mph.

One high speed DE really cured me of wanting to drive my car really fast. Now I just want to drive it well on a track and move up to a run class where I don't need an instructor screaming in my ear.

Jake D 10-26-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
I've done a lot of track driving and would never consider going that fast without a full roll cage, let along just a ragtop over my head! You guys can't be serious...

Yup.. makes it even more of a rush

Topless 10-26-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta

Yes.
Driving that fast is inherently dangerous even with full cage/harness/helmet/Hans. I know 4 drivers who tagged the wall hard in turn 2 but were lucky enough to walk away. This one was not so lucky:http://motorsports.fanhouse.com/2010/10/16/woman-killed-in-driving-experience-crash-at-auto-club-speedway/

My prayers are with her family.