Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #1

Adjustable Toe Control Arms

I know that these are available to purchase (eg on ebay). I cannot find any part on the car that Porsche call a toe control arm.

What OEM part name or # does the toe control arm replace?

Is this a replacement for the "rear control arm lower -- track rod"? Thanks.

Has anybody done this replacement themselves?

clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

Yes, it is what Porsche calls a "track rod", although toe control arm is a more accurate description. OEM part # is 996 331 045 06 (also 07 & 12 depending on year/model).
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #3

Has anybody installed these? DIY instructions / pictures?

I have a number of questions. Do I need / what should I use for seals/boots on the ball joint end (that attaches to hub carrier)? What are the holes in the top of the screw (which also seem to act as a stop for the top nut) there for???? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

I've got a set of the Porsche Motorsport adjustable RSR toe arms, with bump steer adjustability. They don't have the end hardware though (that goes through the outer monoball joint).

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #5

I am verrrry frustrated.

Gave up on the boots/seals....figured I would see what was on the OEM and then figure out what to do. So I set about trying to remove the OEM rear lower control arm. There is a blt and a nut on the suspension side. The nut came off fine.

The bolt spins, but it is not budging. It goes through some sort of ?washer? that seems to be turning with it.

Sorry if I sound cognitively challenged, but HAS ANYBODY REMOVED THIS PART???? I am completely out of commission right now because I cannot remove this damn bolt or figure out how the heck to do so.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #6

Garage
clueless1

try this.. http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #7

Thanks for the link, very useful. Unfortunately, this is the entire instruction on this topic in the manual: "Remove the toe eccentric and pull out the tie rod (toe rod)"

Um, ok.

Unfortunately my question is HOW do I remove the eccentric (it looks like a washer)? I can't find an answer. The nut is off. The bolt turns freely. But so does the eccentric. The bolt is not coming out. I can't even tap it out a bit.

What the heck am I missing here???!

Really need help. Immobilized until I can get this bolt out.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #8

some info here:

linky
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #9

The eccentric head on the bolt can become lodged in there a bit by hitting up against the subframe. You may need to rotate the bolt so that the smallest end of the eccentric is nearest to the boss on the subframe. This will give the most wiggle room.
I just had mine out yesterday as i was installing tarret heim joints and the bolt would contact the cat and get lodged. A little patience and rotation to take tension off the eccentric and it will come out.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #10

I am STILL trying to remove this bolt. Unbelievable.

It rotates fine. I have a clamp on the eccentric so it does not spin when I turn the bolt now. I have managed to get about 5-10mm of progress by tapping on nut end while turning bolt side. Utterly ridiculous. I have tried at all eccentric angles.

There must be load from somewhere lodging the bolt in there. I've tried jacking the car, but no difference.

Can anybody provide a suggestion????
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #11

it turns out there are two notches on the eccentric (on the nut side) ... these were not aligned with the bolt grooves as they should have been. Worse, I spent hours trying to turn the bolt while clamping etc the eccentric, but could not the bolt back into position. Finally I got it as close as I could, move the entire eccentric/bolt to the lowest position and hammered (and hammered and) it through. Very frustrating. Glad its over. All in all I have been pretty disappointed with this project thus far. I feel like it should have taken 30 minutes. I found it exceptionally difficult to find information on the net or otherwise.

Some other notes. I could NOT fit the hardrace/Che arm back into the frame's metal brackets ... it was very obviously too tight a fit. without really whacking it (and whacking and ....) with a hammer. That end is very obviously wider in comparison with the OEM arm.

My remaining questions would be where to get a boot/seal for the wheel carrier side of the toe arm?????

Also, I was wondering why the ball joint on the hardrace (=Che's) arm does not um move? Am I supposed to remove something?

Indeed, there are no instructions with this arm, and I cannot find any on the net. For example, am I correct in assuming I should unscrew *both* sides equivalent lengths to attain the proper length (ie, the length of the OEM arm)?