Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Question Getting closer to buying a Boxster

I am thinking of purchasing a '05 or '06 base model and I had a couple of questions.
Can I retrofit the IMS bearing in an '05? I heard that the design was changed (upgraded?) mid year and the retrofit is not possible without a total engine dismantle.
I also understand that the '06 IMS bearing has been upgraded by Porsche. Is the upgraded bearing from Porsche an equivalent to the aftermarket retrofit?
So, if I purchase one of these cars, what are my options regarding the bearing replacement?
Thanks in advance.

curtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #2

Ims

The best probability of a simple and cheaper IMS replacement is the '05 understanding that even in the '05 there are 3 IMS possibilities and you could still get an IMS that is the expensive kind (though rare, it has been seen 3 times) that requires the entire IMS be replaced.

Porsche has never used an oil splash lube design or a bearing of the quality of the LN part. All the designs have been lubricated by grease and sealed away from the oil by a "lifetime" inner seal.

I asked Charles recently and he says buy the '05 if you are thinking immediate/simple IMS replacement.

The LN site has a list of known shops to do IMS replacements with LN parts. Over 1,000 have now been done. You want an experienced heart surgeon....er IMS replacer. Contact one of them for a quote as they do vary and some require other things to be done at the same time, some don't.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. If an '05 is in my future I will be taking it in to have the IMS bearing replaced. (heart surgery) I have talked to a local independent Porsche repair shop in my area that is qualified to to the work. When I stopped in, he was in the process of installing bearings in two cars and I got to see first hand how it is done. If I get an '06 or '07 I guess I will have to hope for the best... That being said, has there been any known IMS failures on the '06 and up Boxsters?

curtc is offline   Reply With Quote