986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   3000 mi roadtrip. Preparations? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26565-3000-mi-roadtrip-preparations.html)

davemon 10-19-2010 01:49 PM

3000 mi roadtrip. Preparations?

Embarking a 3000 mile roadtrip. I have <1k on this oil... tires are great... any other prep work I should be doing? Of course giving it a nice cleaning for the journey. Any other thoughts?

Never just put this many miles on it in one long cruise.

Pat 10-19-2010 02:24 PM

No big deal. Just ensure all regular maintenance is done and the car drives well and sounds healthy.

tnoice 10-19-2010 02:24 PM

Clean it up, wipe it down, grab a cute girl and drive!!

You should have a great time.

jditom 10-19-2010 03:18 PM

How old is your drive belt?
I change mine on all rigs every 4 years reguardless of miles (OCD)
Or you could bring one with a 24mm wrench.
Easy install if it brakes?

davemon 10-19-2010 06:35 PM

Good call on the belt, checked the belt less than 500mi ago. Not sure exactly how old it is, but seemed to be in great shape.

Fluids check out. I've put 500mi/day on it but only for ~1500 miles in 3 days. This will be twice as many. I haven't put too many miles on it since purchasing it, this will be a lot in comparison. But I do make sure it sees miles, high revs and full warm up every 3rd day or so.

tonycarreon 10-20-2010 02:17 AM

where are you headed?

my usual check/bring with list:
- spare belt (actually it's the old one i replaced @ 60k) + tools needed to replace
- check coolant level
- check/change oil
- check tire pressure (including spare if you have it)
- sunscreen, sunglasses and hat for top down
- a spare quart of oil
- fire extinguisher
- radar detector
- nice cleaning
- insurance card, registration card, auto-club card
- sometimes a cooler for the frunk with water/soda
- loaded up ipod + car charger for phone
- a way to post on 986forum in case you encounter trouble and need help in a location you're not familiar with. and a camera for pictures to post on 986forum when you've returned!

Henrik 10-22-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemon
Embarking a 3000 mile roadtrip. I have <1k on this oil... tires are great... any other prep work I should be doing? Of course giving it a nice cleaning for the journey. Any other thoughts?

Never just put this many miles on it in one long cruise.

Hello,
I drove from south of Sweden to Lisbon, Portugal which was a bit more than 3100 miles without any preparation. And it had been standing for six months during the harsch Swedish winter! It worked like clockwork allthough towards the end it got a bit heavy due to one or two wine bottles, having visited five wine regions along the way! I gave it a service afterwards instead...

Have a good trip!

Overdrive 10-22-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon
where are you headed?

my usual check/bring with list:
- spare belt (actually it's the old one i replaced @ 60k) + tools needed to replace
- check coolant level
- check/change oil
- check tire pressure (including spare if you have it)
- sunscreen, sunglasses and hat for top down
- a spare quart of oil
- fire extinguisher
- radar detector
- nice cleaning
- insurance card, registration card, auto-club card
- sometimes a cooler for the frunk with water/soda
- loaded up ipod + car charger for phone
- a way to post on 986forum in case you encounter trouble and need help in a location you're not familiar with. and a camera for pictures to post on 986forum when you've returned!

tony, I find that to be an excellent list, which I hope you don't mind me adding a few things to that I think we can all take for granted at times until we need them...

- jumper cables and/or one of those portable jumper systems which also has an air compressor for filling tires...fits quite nicely in the frunk without worry of it sliding around
- top off and carry an extra container of windshield washer fluid

vath2001 10-23-2010 02:51 AM

Or to shorten the list .... AAA membership. Doesn't really shorten the list, but it does give piece of mind.

Overdrive 10-23-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vath2001
Or to shorten the list .... AAA membership. Doesn't really shorten the list, but it does give piece of mind.

Well, he did list 'auto-club card' in his list there, vath, so it was covered, but I'm sure no one wants to have to count on AAA out in the middle of Ulm, Arkansas, or have their trip cut short because they didn't have something they could have used to fix the car and keep on going. ;)

You're certainly right, though, it gives one peace of mind should you end up marooned on the side of the road.

davemon 11-01-2010 01:47 PM

Two weeks 3500 miles. And I'm back.

Only one peculiar incident with the car... posting new thread about it now.

So much fun to drive this car even after a 12 hour day behind the wheel.

litteng 11-01-2010 05:58 PM

travel light...

credit card in back pocket... :cheers: