986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   RMS Failure: What is the cause? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26563-rms-failure-what-cause.html)

yelojkt 10-19-2010 12:30 PM

RMS Failure: What is the cause?

The only thing I found with search was wobbling unsupported shaft. My VW 1.8T has just shy of 199,000(beetle is an MY00) on it with regular oil changes between 3000 and 6000 miles. And my RMS shows no sign of leakage. I truely believe that VW/Porsche know how to build or buy seals that work. So what is the problem with the RMS on the 986 motor and can it be fixed so that the seal will last 200,000. Does the seal ride on the end of the crankshaft? A little understanding please.

pk2 10-20-2010 08:16 AM

This topic has been rehashed addnauseum with many theories, some more plausible than others. I would do some searches and come to your own conclusions. The true mystery is why Porsche let it go for a decade or more living in a state of denial. They still won't 'fess up and have never released data as to how many cars were effected.

Regards, PK

yelojkt 10-20-2010 08:22 AM

Anybody? Jake I know you know. ;) I wonder if a stronger crank would fix this problem. Jake do you know if persons running your billit crank are still having RMS problems?

Perfectlap 10-20-2010 08:35 AM

They see this as an (out of warranty) inconvenience. You have to be up to 'catastrophic' to get their attention...maybe.

yelojkt 10-20-2010 11:40 AM

Okay I know how to fix a RMS leak. Use a little tide on the garage floor every couple of months. And change the seal when you replace your clutch. Sounds like you could use a little sealent around the outside of the seal. Seeing as how the problem is the case being out of tolorence.

Jake Raby 10-20-2010 11:48 AM

The crank isn't the issue.. One primary aspect is crankcase integrity in the area of the RMS. Another is the IMS drive chain continually pulling the crank downward. The 3rd is due to the distance from the last main bearing to the flywheel and the fact that their is no additional support to counter the loads from the flywheel and IMS drive chain.

We've never had a recurring leak when using the 997 seal...

yelojkt 10-20-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
due to the distance from the last main bearing to the flywheel and the fact that their is no additional support to counter the loads from the flywheel and IMS drive chain.

This is where I thought the problem might be. But when reading threads posted on this it sounded like the problem was leaking around the outside of the seal and not at the seal to crank point. So now the only thing I have to worry about with my future engine is a slipped sleeve. I can live with that chance. Looks like the odds are in my favor on a slipped sleeve. I hope my wife does not look at my posts until a couple years after my purchase. :D

jditom 10-20-2010 01:48 PM

When did folks start using the 997 seal?

The raeson I ask is that I am looking at buying a 04 S with 20k miles on her. The RMS was done at 7k in 2007 by the Porsche dealer. Had it inspected and no leaks. Were the dealers using 997 seals in 2007?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
The crank isn't the issue.. One primary aspect is crankcase integrity in the area of the RMS. Another is the IMS drive chain continually pulling the crank downward. The 3rd is due to the distance from the last main bearing to the flywheel and the fact that their is no additional support to counter the loads from the flywheel and IMS drive chain.

We've never had a recurring leak when using the 997 seal...

clickman 10-20-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jditom
When did folks start using the 997 seal?

The raeson I ask is that I am looking at buying a 04 S with 20k miles on her. The RMS was done at 7k in 2007 by the Porsche dealer. Had it inspected and no leaks. Were the dealers using 997 seals in 2007?

Thanks

The 997 car came out in 2005. Whether the RMS they had at that time was the same seal you get today...?