Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Car coming off warranty next month...any suggestions???

My 987 warranty ends next month. Do Porsche dealers do a final inspection before it ends? Is there anything I should ask them to perform? Anyone in the local area of Toronto have any experience with this and Pfaff Porsche? Thanks for any input!

boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

sell it...
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsternut
My 987 warranty ends next month. Do Porsche dealers do a final inspection before it ends? Is there anything I should ask them to perform? Anyone in the local area of Toronto have any experience with this and Pfaff Porsche? Thanks for any input!
I can't help for the answer, but it's a very interesting question and I will follow closely this thread..
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #4

most dealers will do a once over for a vehicle before warranty expires. It's in their interest too since it can potentially generate addl revenue...

That being said, I'd throw 'em a bone and have them do and O&F change at the same time requesting a final warranty inspection. Toss in (and get them to write it on the service invoice) 'customer notes car making odd rattle sound in engine compartment' & 'customer states vehicle seems to exhibit odd behavior when driving'. This way, all your bases are covered

How many miles are on it? Assume you're running out of warranty due to time? FWIW, and I'm sure some resident expect will prove otherwise, I haven't heard of any IMS related issues w/ late '06 or newer motors. Keep driving and enjoying your car!

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #5

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you would have to report any items you feel are possible warranty claims well before the dead date, nobody is going to send you a "don't forget to reduce our profit per unit" notice from Porsche or any maker of anything for that matter.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #6

I've read of many owners

asking for a once over to allow the dealer one last crack at making money from the car before the warranty expires and they start doing their own maintenance or taking the car to an independent mechanic. Never heard of a dealer refusing when asked for a look see before the warranty expires.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #7

I've seen it happen frequently, some dealers shun warranty work because they think they make less. However it's far more likely due to the fact they are rated by the car manufacturers on how much they report and spend monthly in warranty claims and other numerous tracked categories. Your success will likely depend on the warranty numbers in that particular month and dealer whim.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-20-2010 at 02:11 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #8

The car has 76,000km (just under 50,000 miles). I have a rattle from the driver's door which they're going to address. I'm going to try the once over...not sure about the 'engine noise' complaint. Thanks for the current comments!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #9

Went into Pfaff Porsche (near Toronto) and had them do the 'once over' before warranty expired. They charged me 2 hours labor ($268 total). Fixed the noise in the door by adjusting the door stop and told me my clutch is starting to wear (I get a bit of shutter from 1st gear when cold)...quoted me approx. $1800 for a new one. Is this in line for pricing? I told them to hold off as I'm about to store it anyway (winter). Otherwise, a clean bill of health. I've driven standard all my life and have never replaced a clutch with my Japanese cars. Is this a standard thing for Porsche, or can I assume the original owner was hard on it the first 70,000km's? I've driven it for about 5K.