986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Removing air bag decals for good. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26518-removing-air-bag-decals-good.html)

J Tinsby 10-14-2010 11:43 AM

Removing air bag decals for good.

I hate having these things on my sun visors so I was going to cover them.

I accidentally discovered that isopropyl rubbing alcohol will take them off with a bit of rubbing and a paper towel.

The alcohol softens the decal ( I thought the warnings were painted on since you can see the grain of the vinyl in them) but doesn't hurt the vinyl at least it worked for me on my 2011 987.

Now I don't have to look at the bleeding things all the time!

No guarantees that it will work for you as it did for me and I can't comment how the warnings were applied on earlier year cars. Maybe those can just be peeled off.

HTH someone

J Tinsby

brian325is 10-14-2010 12:01 PM

air bag decals

Not sure how easy it is to remove older models, but I have seen many of these for sale on ebay. They just place a new decal over the old one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-visor-shield-decals-996-997-986-987-911-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaeff3f0eQQitemZ20050 4459022QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Mark_T 10-14-2010 12:30 PM

I have them on my car - they look great. You would have to look closely to even know that they are there.

Stroked & Blown 10-14-2010 12:42 PM

I used rubbing alcohol on mine. A little work, but looks MUCH better.

Banana S 10-14-2010 04:58 PM

Same here. (And yes, I'm aware of the irony that a lawyer was so annoyed by a simple pair of warning stickers...)

sd_boxster 10-14-2010 09:00 PM

I took mine apart (i.e. I removed the plastic insert with the mirror, light, etc. from the rest of the visor) to paint over the warning labels with black spray paint. Turns out that the solvent in the spray paint completely dissolved the labels, so I used a microfiber towel to wipe off the first coat of paint and the label remains, gave each side a proper coat of black paint, and am delighted with the results.

J Tinsby 10-15-2010 04:19 PM

That's how I discovered that alcohol takes them off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_boxster
I took mine apart (i.e. I removed the plastic insert with the mirror, light, etc. from the rest of the visor) to paint over the warning labels with black spray paint. Turns out that the solvent in the spray paint completely dissolved the labels, so I used a microfiber towel to wipe off the first coat of paint and the label remains, gave each side a proper coat of black paint, and am delighted with the results.

Hi sd_boxster,

You did exactly what I was doing and had the same result.. the paint I used on my '04 986 550 Spyder Edition visors years ago made the decal wrinkle up. I took some alcohol in desperation to remove the goo, knowing that it wouldn't hurt the vinyl. Then after I had the mess cleaned up....... I just used it to remove what was left. On the passenger side visor I started and ended with pure 91% rubbing alcohol. Took a bit of rubbing but they are GONE!

Cheers,

J Tinsby

70Sixter 10-19-2010 02:37 PM

I used denatured alcohol on my Box, and isopropyl on wife's X5. Denatured was easier, just do not let it get on the mirror hinges.

Wet a paper towel or sponge and hold it against the decal for a few minutes to soften so less rubbing is required.

jmatta 10-19-2010 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wurth Citrus Degreaser takes them right off...let it sit a bit and wipe...leaves no residue. Stuff is great for any adhesive type residue you'd care to remove, as well.