Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Roll Bar Before and After Pictures

All:

Please check out my website. My ad will be up on 986Forum soon.

I have some trick pieces planned for the future so stay tuned!

Thanks,

ddb (Derek)

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #2

Looks nice, but wouldn't be almost as simple to remove the rollbar and paint it? My car is black, so it matches anyway.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hi jmatta,

Thanks for having a look!

I haven't done it, but I've seen threads where folks have removed the roll bar to paint it and it is considerably more work. From what I've seen you have to partially disassemble the interior and remove the convertible top assembly to get to all of the roll bar bolts. Then you have to remove the three padded pieces of trim on the roll bar, prep and paint it, then reverse the process. Of course you will have an OE like painted roll bar, but I didn't want to go that route and this gives us a much easier option in my opinion.

You are right, a couple of advantages of black cars are the roll bars already match as well as the bumperettes.

If you want a little contrast however, an aluminum looking roll bar looks great on the triple black cars!

Click on my FB page from my site for more pictures.

Thanks,

ddb
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

I am not a painter

I think the results (from the pictures, though none of them are closeups) are respectable, and the price point seems reasonable.

However, for a product that is supposed to be a convenience, I lost enthusiam on the "paint or have painted" part - that's just the kind of thing that would leave these sitting on my shelf waiting to get around to ordering the paint, figuring out an application method, waiting for the right weather, and so on.

If you offered them painted to Porsche standard colors - as you showed in one photo (might have been Photoshopped!) I think that would be worth an extra $20 to most folks and eliminate about 80% of the hassle factor.

Something to consider...
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterIsl
I think the results (from the pictures, though none of them are closeups) are respectable, and the price point seems reasonable.

However, for a product that is supposed to be a convenience, I lost enthusiam on the "paint or have painted" part - that's just the kind of thing that would leave these sitting on my shelf waiting to get around to ordering the paint, figuring out an application method, waiting for the right weather, and so on.

If you offered them painted to Porsche standard colors - as you showed in one photo (might have been Photoshopped!) I think that would be worth an extra $20 to most folks and eliminate about 80% of the hassle factor.

Something to consider...
Agreed - I'd be willing to pay a bit more to have a pre-painted piece delivered to me.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I'm not a painter either, but I know one!

Hi CenterIsl & Stroked & Blown,

Thanks for looking and your feedback.

I'm no painter either, but I wanted the folks that do have skills to have the opportunity to paint their overlays themselves if they choose to do so. Others may prefer to have their local body shop paint them.

None of the overlays were photoshopped. About six years ago I had my bumperettes professionally painted and they still are probably the best looking paint on my car. They were done by BumperPlugs. Fortunately for me BumperPlugs is located right here in the city of Charlotte. So when I wanted to have overlays done for my car as well as in other colors for marketing it made sense to take them to BumperPlugs.

If anyone is interested in getting overlays painted by BumperPlugs I can help save time and shipping and deliver their overlays to BumperPlugs for painting. You can pay BumperPlugs separately and they will ship them directly to you when completed. Send Eric an email with your paint code for a quote. Let me know if you want to go this route and we will make it happen. His email address is eric@bumperplugs.com.

By the way, it is difficult to capture the quality of the paint on the overlays in the pictures, but it is outstanding on all of them.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by ddb; 10-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That is a very slick idea for those that don't want the hassle of taking their convertible frame off the car to get to those roll bars to paint. Good for you in thinking up that idea! The only problem is that Eric probably charges more than $20 to paint those overlays. I've bought several items from him in the past, and my guess is that he charges $150-200 to paint them, which then basically doubles the price of the overlay.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks Boxtaboy!

One of the reasons I decided to sell the overlays primed is because I see on here a lot of folks tackling their bumperettes, and doing a good job. So I wanted to give the folks that enjoy doing this the option to do it themselves. Others like to take their bumperettes, side skirts, etc. to their local body shop, and have that option with overlays if they choose to do so.

I can't quote prices for BumperPlugs. I would just email your paint code to Eric if interested and see what he would charge.

This model is best in my opinion because there are options.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
This model is best in my opinion because there are options.
Most convenient for you, maybe, but for those of us who don't have our "local body shop" on speed dial, it's likely to be a deal killer.

And even if I did know a body shop person, it means that every set of your covers is going to require a separate set up for the painting - and that's where the biggest cost is (assuming they had the paint to match - ordering paint to do a set of covers seems incredibly inefficient). I am guessing that it cost almost the same amount to paint 10 sets of covers as it would one. Do you intend to make a set of these covers each time you get an order? I doubt it.

Anyway, it's your business model but I think that you are only doing 1/2 of the job.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
He would def sell more if he could offer them pre-painted. Maybe work a deal out with Eric to paint a set amount in the most basic colors (silver, grey, red, etc..).

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #11

Garage
Just my opinion as a consumer. I saw it thought it was very cool. However, when I realized they did not come pre painted I lost interest.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote