Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #1

99 TIP Tranny concerns?

While driving this morning, I noticed the following in order:
- Shifter is on D mode and I notice the gear shift down from 5 to 4 and the MPH went down from 75 to 60 and when I stepped on my gas, the RPM went all the way to 4k but my speed didn't change.

- After switching it from D mode to M mode, everything is fine.

- Slight uphill to my work, still on the M mode, my foot was on the gas but it's not moving, so I downshift to 3 and let go of the gas pedal, RPM was on 1.5k, speed was on 5 mph but the indicator shows still on the 3rd gear. So I stepped on the gas pedal again and nothing change.

There's no CEL light on the dashboard or any other light except my airbag.

what do you think it is?

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think you should have the tranny fluid changed asap, as it sounds like your transmission is slipping. If that doesn't fix it, it might get expensive. Don't mean to scare you, but...
http://www.certifiedmastertech.com/wordpress/2010/02/03/slipping-automatic-transmission/

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #3

read the link and the best description is..hear the engine running great but no power at The wheels.

Thanks boxtaboy..preciate it..will bring it to the shop after work.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

Could also be a dirty or faulty transmission switch, which is actually more likely.

This is the switch on the side of the box, exposed, which the shifter connects to via a cable.

Mud, muck and debris can build-up and mess with this switch.

Another thing could be the transmission controller, similar to the DME but just controls the tranny. Easiest thing is to disconnect the battery for 10 min. to reset it and see if these don't correct your issue before incurring shop time.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #5

I will disconnect the battery 10 mins before heading home and hopefully this would solve it but I would still bring it to the shop to get the transmission service. My box has 86k on the clock so far.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #6

update

I did disconnect the battery and everything is doing good for few miles and then
driving home at 75mph, i notice that the rpm is above 3k and if i let go of the gas pedal, it will go down "immediately" to 65mph and once i stepped on the gas pedal again, it takes just a few sec to accelarate again and rpm goes to 35k before it shift again.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

Garage
Would be interesting to see if the tranny has thrown any faults. Know anyone with a diagnostic tool?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #8

hey bud .im going to predict that if you do not change your fluid and do not go to certified porsche mech. your tranny will cost you 10 k to fix/rebuild by February 2011. to me it seems like its either slipping or your TC(transmission converter torque) is slowly going on you...

trust me go and see someone that know whats up--its porsche; my friend made that mistake and he is 10k in debt
i allways go to MCL( porsche dealer: dont hate dont hate! i get 30%off everything since my cousin works there) best cars deserve best service =)

MIMA is offline   Reply With Quote