Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

Steinel's Autowerks

Steinels is in Twinsburg, Ohio. Does anyone here have any experience with or knowledge of their work?
Thanks.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #2

Check your box---PM sent.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Steinels is in Twinsburg, Ohio. Does anyone here have any experience with or knowledge of their work?
Thanks.
What are you looking to have done as there are some great options not too too far from there? (and depending on the desired work would be worth a trip...)

Frodo-
If you have a suggestion or tip, why not post it on the board to share so others close by or in the area can benefit too?

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Why Steinel's?

I have been sufficiently alarmed by all the talk about IMS and RMS failures. I have spoken to them about the work and believe them to be a closer alternative for the work. I'm in the Dayton area and Twinsburg is a hell of a lot closer than Georgia.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster

Frodo-
If you have a suggestion or tip, why not post it on the board to share so others close by or in the area can benefit too?

Okay, let me give it to you in a nutshell. What I basically said (in the PM) was this: I have been to the place, have been very impressed with the facility and the vast array of Porsches I've seen them working on, from 917s to GT3 RSs to 356s to...well, you name it. When I've been there, typically there have been maybe a dozen cars being worked on at any given time, a number of them being prepped for the track.

On a number of occasions, they scanned my car, trying to track down the source of a pesky CEL, and didn't charge me for the scans. Eventually, I took the car to them when I was striking out on the CEL issue. They found, and fixed, the problem, though it apparently took a number of hours. As a result (of labor time), the cost was higher than I expected it to be. I suspect, without knowing, they probably tend to be maybe a little less expensive than a dealership. I do think they do good work, based on what I have seen when I was there and on the one time I had them do work on my car.

The only dicey issue centered on a remark he made when I picked the car up, something to the effect that I should get rid of my spin on oil filter adapter and go back to the OEM. His opinion was that, in their experience, such products restrict optimal oil flow. I passed this opinion on to another individual, one clearly extensively knowledgeable of the internal workings of Porsches from decades of first hand experience, who essentially replied "BS", that evidence supported the contrary position. In his opinion, the SPOFA not only did not restrict oil flow but in fact improved it. And as a result, his opinion of the shop involved was, ummm...tarnished a bit shall we say?

I still think they, Steinel's, are quite knowledgeable and have very experienced technicians there, and I would not hesitate to take my Boxster there. I don't think IMS work would, by any stretch of the imagination, be beyond their capabilities. On the other hand, at one point I asked them about the IMS problems and, while I don't remember his answer verbatim, it left me with the clear impression that they thought the extent of the problem was somewhat overblown. I should add this was probably a year and a half ago---his answer today might or might not be the same.

Not exactly a "nutshell" but there you have it. (BTW, I do still have my SPOFA on the car.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #6

I'm in Dayton area... Fairborn to be exact. I wrenched on import cars all through college and I plan on just doing the bearing job myself when that time comes. So far so good and my car remains spotless underneath.