Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

04 Boxster CDR23 - dying for 3.5mm aux input

My Boxster has the CDR23 with Bose package. It does not have a CD changer or navigation. It has speakers on the door, on top of dash and behind the seats in the center is either a woofer or a center speaker. In the front trunk right behind the spare wheel it has some square metal unit bracketed to wall. I was told it had something to do with the sound system.

I am dying to play music from my iPhone through the speakers. I am thinking an aux 3.5mm input would be best in case I ever switch from Apple or in case they ever switch to a different connector.

My local Porsche dealership sells a device to add an iPod connection via dock connector includes battery charger, connection via 3.5mm jack, volume control via car radio, music tracks selected using iPod. They want $499 for unit, which I am fine with but want $600 to install it. Another problem is they say it installs to center console but don’t know where exactly or what it looks like. They say they have only installed one and the guy in parts didn’t see it. I am guessing maybe they remove the cd-holders and put it there. I wonder if it matches and looks clean with the all black interior I have.

I am not able to do anything mechanical so I will not be able to do something myself. Am I being cheap, should I just pay the cost? Is there any other option out there? Is just buying a new stereo an option?

Any comments or thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks!

darrinaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #2

I put in an alpine DPR-RDS1

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500DPRRDS1/Alpine-DPR-RDS1.html

I'm happy with it. It is an FM modulator that connects inline to your antenna similar to the porsche branded product. Sound quality is similar to your strongest FM station. Can't beat it for $99. It was easy to install, so you could find someone to do it way cheaper than the dealer. Oh it does connect with the ipod/iphone connector not the headphone style plug you were looking for.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc777
I put in an alpine DPR-RDS1

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500DPRRDS1/Alpine-DPR-RDS1.html

I'm happy with it. It is an FM modulator that connects inline to your antenna similar to the porsche branded product. Sound quality is similar to your strongest FM station. Can't beat it for $99. It was easy to install, so you could find someone to do it way cheaper than the dealer. Oh it does connect with the ipod/iphone connector not the headphone style plug you were looking for.

Thanks for info. What about this code stuff, does this option require any type of special codes given by dealer? Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

I'm assuming the $20 Ipod Becker jack doesn't work with a 3.5 aux ? That's what I'm using with my CDR-220. I think you could probably pick up a CDR-220 from someone parting out a car for $50. Plug and play. Then use the Becker jack ($20). I thought the 986s all use the same wiring? I know there was an big Ipod issue with the first 987s. Disclaimer: I'm no audio expert

cdr 220

becker ipod jack
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-08-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I'm assuming the $20 Ipod Becker jack doesn't work with a 3.5 aux ? That's what I'm using with my CDR-220. I think you could probably pick up a CDR-220 from someone parting out a car for $50. Plug and play. Then use the Becker jack ($20). I thought the 986s all use the same wiring? I know there was an big Ipod issue with the first 987s. Disclaimer: I'm no audio expert

cdr 220

becker ipod jack
I think this won't work on the CDR23.. it's using MOST Optic all round..
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

well that sucks...I thought MOST didn't come until 2005 with the 987.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

03 started the MOST thing. I don't think there's much option, as what you'd need is something to effectively replace the CD changer and transcodes iPod output to MOST compatible digital output.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #8

Ok, now Im more confused than when I started this. I dont have a cd changer in mine. Would the first suggestion for the Alpine component work?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #9

You need the Dension Gateway 500.

http://www.dension.com/index.php?pageID=11

You can buy it thru here:
http://www.bumperplugs.com

Last edited by ekam; 10-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
You need the Dension Gateway 500.

http://www.dension.com/index.php?pageID=11

You can buy it thru here:
http://www.bumperplugs.com
Very interesting, too bad I'm just about to yank out the audio from my 03 LOL.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #11

Sorry this probably wont help you at all but just for general knowledge, I have a CDR-220 and I bought a cable from www.iwirep.com ($50,came with removal tools, shipping, install instructions, and charges my ipod) I have never had an issue with it. I then bought a female ipod to 3.5mm cable off ebay and can plug in my driod and play sat radio through it. You might try contacting them to see if they have any options for you.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
Sorry this probably wont help you at all but just for general knowledge, I have a CDR-220 and I bought a cable from www.iwirep.com ($50,came with removal tools, shipping, install instructions, and charges my ipod) I have never had an issue with it. I then bought a female ipod to 3.5mm cable off ebay and can plug in my driod and play sat radio through it. You might try contacting them to see if they have any options for you.
That doesn't work for a MOST-bus cable, as the entire thing is optical digital, not analog.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinaltman
Thanks for info. What about this code stuff, does this option require any type of special codes given by dealer? Thanks again.

No dealer coding necessary. The output is selected by tuning to one of the 4 fm frequencies you can configure on the alpine. The song display works just as if it was coming from an fm station.

I considered the Dension, but the price and having to get a dealer involved was too much. The cabin is on the noisy side anyway so having the perfect sound system is kind of a waste in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc777
No dealer coding necessary. The output is selected by tuning to one of the 4 fm frequencies you can configure on the alpine. The song display works just as if it was coming from an fm station.

I considered the Dension, but the price and having to get a dealer involved was too much. The cabin is on the noisy side anyway so having the perfect sound system is kind of a waste in my opinion.
Ok, I have decided to do what you suggested. My brother in law, coincidentally works for Alpine and he got the device and will install it for me. He is asking me to check with you to see if you needed any antenna adapters. I will appreciate it if you let me know.

Im also curious to know where you installed it? Not sure if you could shoot me a quick photo of it with your phone. Will the stereo have to be removed to connect the Alpine device to antenna?

I really appreciate whatever info you can give me.

Feel free to email me at: darrinaltman@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #15

I used a similar type box to connect my Sirius radio to my CDR23. Sounds great with no interference from local radio stations.
You probably will need a set of antenna adaptors to go from the standard round antenna plug to the mini plug on the car. I have a spare set I can sell you cheap.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #16

Just an update. I purchased the Alpine device recommended earlier in this post. My brother in law installed it today. I am so surprised at the excellent sound quality. For me it is perfect. I am so happy I didnt pay the $1200 the Porsche dealer wanted or even paid the $500 for the Dension unit suggested and then have had to pay the dealer for the security code.

Thanks for everyones input and help. If anyone needs help installing one of these I could explain what my brother in law did on mine.