986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What color is transmission fluid? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26432-what-color-transmission-fluid.html)

sasha055 10-07-2010 09:42 PM

What color is transmission fluid?

Hi,

I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 with manual transmission.
Lately it developed a leak that I haven't been able to diagnose (I'm not really sure what's leaking)
Every morning I see a yellow-ish wet spot (water like) in front of driver side wheel, it's not too much 20 drops or so..
Also every time I put in reverse and drive I get a cloud of white smoke coming from under driver's side wheel (like something is leaking onto exhaust)
Under the car I have fluid on left side of fuel filter and on hose that goes near spark plugs. It looks like it's coming from the top of the engine.
I changed spark plug tubes and rings, so it's not that, I'm not loosing any coolant or oil...
Since it's leaking heavily when I park in reverse I think it;s transmission fluid leaking, what color is porsche tranny fluid for manual transmssion?

Thanks
Sasha

JackG 10-08-2010 03:34 AM

Transmission lube is a heavy, thick, smelly, and dark oil. It's definitely not yellow and watery. I'm guessing you have a slow cooling system leak. Maybe it pools somewhere, and when you back up it runs down and onto your exhaust? Time to pull the engine cover.

insite 10-08-2010 04:11 AM

sounds like power steering. could be that when you're backing up, you're also dialing in a lot of steering at a slow speed & this generates pressure & a leak. there is a power steering line that runs down from the reservoir to a tube under the car. it's on the driver's side, just in front of the wheel. it runs VERY close to the exhaust manifolds....

is your car manual or tip? i severely doubt your tranny is leaking.

sasha055 10-08-2010 07:10 AM

Is there a way to check power steering fluid level? (probably should be in the book)

Thanks god it's not transmission:) It's definately not coolant, I had a bad coolant can and I remember the smell of coolant.. you cannt forget that smell. It looks like oil (I have syntec 10w40 which is also yellow) but it's more wattery.

Does anyone have a diagram of power steering line from under the car?

Thanks
Sasha

insite 10-08-2010 07:14 AM

the power steering fluid is Pentosin; it looks just like motor oil.

check it while the car is hot. open the engine bay cover & you'll see a little black reservoir on the driver's side. open the cap & check the level.

sasha055 10-19-2010 10:52 AM

It is power steering... I put the car on ramps and turn steering wheel.. it was spraying all over.

it's leaking from metal clamp in the middle of the hose..
How can I replace it? it seems that the clamp is pressed in there.. and I don't see any easy way to get it out (except cutting the hose on both sides).

What should I replace it with? all pressure clamps that I see for sale are narrow..

Do I need two clamps and a hose in the middle? how do I clamp hose one to another.. is there a metal tube in the middle?

Thanks
Sasha