986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Post clutch install question? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26417-post-clutch-install-question.html)

dirkdiggler 10-07-2010 04:57 AM

Post clutch install question?

I just installed a new clutch in my 1997 boxster and had a question for all of you that have replaced one before.

The clutch is installed and I can shift thru all gears but my clutch pedal seems so much more easy to push in now than it was before when the previous clutch was failing......... havent actuall started or drove the car yet, just pressed it while car is off and shifted thru the gears.

Is the clutch suppose to be like 80x easier to press in after installing a new one?

Its not sloppy or loose but just very easy to press in compared to the worn clutch I had.

thanks guys

extanker 10-07-2010 05:04 AM

if the old bearing was sliding without lube or the disc was binding a little on input shaft and you lubed up everything it would feel much easier. 80x,s no. with the trans in gear step on the clutch and have some one turn the rear wheels

jcb986 10-07-2010 05:18 AM

As a clutch wears it can get a little harder to press and each manufacturer will use different springs inside the clutch thus you will have a different feel. Did you purchase original or a OEM replacement. I have test drove different makes and models and to me each felt a little different. Now, if you have a competition clutch it would be harder to press because the springs that the fingers press down to release the clutch are harder to press, but also when released grab and hold better, "no slipping" than a non-competition clutch.

yelojkt 10-07-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986
Did you purchase original or a OEM replacement.

This was what I was wondering.

I have put two clutches in my Beetle. The first time I traded out the dual-mass spongy flywheel and put in a lightened G60 flywheel with a sachs pressure plate and disc. The pedal pressure felt a little easier. The second time I replaced the disc and the throw out bearing and when I put it back togather the pedal pressure was very light. That seemed strange, I figured something was wrong but I have put over 40,000 miles on the second set-up including track time at Hallett. Go figure.

What parts did you change out?

dirkdiggler 10-07-2010 05:57 AM

I changed out:

New LUK dual mass flywheel

New Sachs clutch kit

throw-out bearing

and pretty much all the parts in Pelican Parts Super Clutch replacement kit

link = http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_Tclutc_pg1.htm#item0

Like I said, I havent drove it yet so I am hoping everything is installed correctly and good too go..... Fingers crossed.

It just seems sooo much easier to push in than before.

blue2000s 10-07-2010 06:24 AM

I had the IMS bearing replaced late last year. When they looked at the clutch, it still had more than half life left (40k miles), so I elected to keep it, but I did replace the throw-out bearing, it was making noise. Even without replacing the clutch itself, the pedal was noticeably easier to push after the work. They mentioned lubrication when I asked why.

yelojkt 10-07-2010 01:06 PM

You bought good componets and if you were brave enough to tackle this on your own and you put it back togather without alot of parts left over (scratching head wondering where this goes) then you should be fine. I always start my car on the stands and run through the gears letting the wheels spin and listen to componets. You could do that but you should be fine. Let us know. The clutch in my beetle has so little resistance that whenever anyone use to driving an older MKIV drive my car they slam the clutch pedal into the floor the first few times they shift. I also get a big-eyed look with a funny grin from them. Kinda like sorry didn't know that was going to happen.

Also interested in the year of your car, the mileage and what your RMS and IMS were doing. Any leaks? You know that kind of stuff.