Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #1

Carrying a 2nd Set of Wheels/Tires

Has anyone tried carrying a full set of wheels and tires in their Boxster? Does a full size tire fit in the front storage compartment ("bonnet" sounds better here)? I think that I may be able to fit two more on the passenger seat on the way to a PCA TT.

Autocrosser#73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #2

IN your boxster, no, not really. When I bought my first set of tires (just the tires) for the boxster I had them shipped to my office and quickly realized I would have to make two trips to get them home.

Roof rack, trailer, or support vehicle are your options (or drive to the event on your race rubber).

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #3

In my 914, I could fit 1 tire in the front trunk, 1 tire in the rear trunk, and 2 tires in the passenger seat.

When I got the Boxster, I played with the same idea. I don't remember if I could fit a tire in the front trunk (with the spare removed), but I don't think so. I definitely could not fit a tire in the rear trunk. And it's not realistic to fit more than 2 tires in the passenger seat. Bottom line is: you can fit some, but not all 4 tires.

Get a tire trailer.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
I usually drive to the event on race rubber (DOT-R Nittos) and carry 1 full size wheel/tire in the front trunk with skinny spare removed. A full size wheel fits fine in the front if you lean it back. Just check clearances carefully before closing. When going to interstate events we bring a motor home and support trailer.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #5

and then there's a few guys who built their own little trailer (big enough for 4 wheels)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
I usually drive to the event on race rubber (DOT-R Nittos) and carry 1 full size wheel/tire in the front trunk with skinny spare removed. A full size wheel fits fine in the front if you lean it back. Just check clearances carefully before closing. When going to interstate events we bring a motor home and support trailer.
Hey, nice to hear from you again.
I do that too but when your wheels already have a few events on them it's always like playing roulette, if you have to drive back on the bare threads ;-)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #7

when i replaced all 4 tires, i wanted to keep the 2 good ones. i tried putting one of them in the front trunk with the spare still inside but it was a no go - the lid contacted the tire. one wouldn't even fit in the rear trunk. i ended up having to go pick them up in a different vehicle.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #8

Had to grab a great wheel/tire deal on CL for my new project car. Only thing I had available was the Box. Pulled the GT3 seat and passenger door panel. Borrowed a carpet from the entry door at work, and voila - 4 full size wheels fit perfectly. Top even closes nicely!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Just so you know, someone did just recently pose the same question. Try to do a search before you post new threads.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/34846-fit-boxster-alloys-tyres-boxster.html

The car was basically designed to carry whatever tire that failed in the front trunk after you've removed the spare and installed it on your car. There's just enough room to fit a single (flat) rear tire in there, so you know a front will fit as well, and that's really only on the 986. I think it's not even possible on a 987 since you have no spare in there as it is, so you'd be stuck having to call for a tow.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

If it's dry, you can get one rear in the frunk, the fronts in the passenger seat upright, and the other rear on a blanket on top of the clamshell bungee corded to the roll bars.

You'll look like Sanford and Son, but it'll work.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #11

Garage
The two rears in the trunk side-by-side (trunk lid open) strapped-in with a bungee, one in the frunk, and one in the passenger seat on a towel... I do it quite often when getting new tires installed.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #12

Jäger, are the two in the truck stacked?

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 04-20-2012 at 06:35 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Jäger, are the two in the truck stacked?
Up-right side-by-side, make sure to strap them in or use a bungee.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote