Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #1

Flat Tire Replacement

I just got a flat rear tire today so I've really had no time to search and prepare.

My 02 Boxster has Potenza 255 40R17 RE050A 94Y Pole Position

Should I use an exact replacement or would some recommend anything else.

I was able to get the spare tire on and I'm at Firestone but I want to make sure I know what I should get before I buy.

Thanks,

Charlie

Travelmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

are the counter people at the tire store waiting for your answer from the internet ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Garage
I would use the same tire unless you plan on changing the two rears together. However, be aware that for the first 100 miles or so that new tire will not be broken in and such will not have the same grip characteristics.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

No but I left them the car and I need to call them back. I would just get two new rears and they priced me $247 each. I saw online that sears had then for $229 so ill see if they will match. I just wanted to make sure these were good tires and that I shouldn't get something different.
Travelmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #5

Garage
yes those tires are decent tires. not my personal favorites but they are good. and if that is what you have on the car currently and you like them. then that to me is a good enough reason to stay the course.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Much depends on

the wear on the other tire on that axle and even the wear on the tires on the other axle.

And even the amount of water-on-the-road driving you do.

The traction on each end of an axle should be about equal. So you don't want a new tire on the same axle with a tire down to the wear bars. The general rule of thumb is "At least same tread depth and same tread design on an axle". So what is "same depth"? With 70% of original tread depth or more it is safe to replace just one tire. Get much below that and you are violating the "same depth" rule and it starts to get dangerous because you are creating different traction on each side of the car and a different ability to evacuate water away from the contact patch.

By keeping the tread depth nearly the same and the tread pattern the same, you are maximizing the effectiveness of anti-slip brakes and Porsche's Stability Management (PSM).

If you do get just one tire, watch the wear on the older tire and don't let it wear down to where it has no tread depth just because you are trying to get maximum use out of the replacement tire. Remember tread depth differences can cause accidents.

Accidents hurt ...your pocketbook ... your insurance rating ... your health...someone else.

Consider if it is better to replace 4 tires so they all are new, match tread patterns, match tread depth..and use tires that are still Ultra High Performance Summer Radials but just aren't as super capable or super priced as some others. Kumho and Sumitomo are less expensive brands often recommended.

If you have Internet access...go look at the www.tirerack.com site for a list of tires that work on your car in your sizes and see. Often retailers will match prices or come close enough.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote