986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche offering modern nav system to replace classic radios (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26250-porsche-offering-modern-nav-system-replace-classic-radios.html)

ekam 09-22-2010 06:24 AM

Porsche offering modern nav system to replace classic radios

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/18/porsche-offering-modern-nav-system-to-replace-classic-radios/

Interesting they're doing this. I wonder how much longer we have to wait until they have update radios for 986/996s.

blue2000s 09-22-2010 06:41 AM

I guess I don't see the point. A Garmin is less than $200, has a much larger screen, and can be removed from the car to prevent theft and used for other cars. $776 for a tiny screen in a bad viewing location seems like a waste of money.

VGM911 09-22-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
I guess I don't see the point. A Garmin is less than $200, has a much larger screen, and can be removed from the car to prevent theft and used for other cars. $776 for a tiny screen in a bad viewing location seems like a waste of money.

I couldn't agree more!

tonycarreon 09-22-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

i have to admit, i would get one. the less crud and dangling wires i have cluttering up the car the better in my opinion. plus i haven't figured out how to plug in an iphone charger, nav plug and radar detector into a single lighter socket yet...

blue2000s 09-22-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon
i have to admit, i would get one. the less crud and dangling wires i have cluttering up the car the better in my opinion. plus i haven't figured out how to plug in an iphone charger, nav plug and radar detector into a single lighter socket yet...

The GPS units have internal batteries that are good for several hours. I usually don't need to plug mine into the car at all.

There's also options like this adapter that charges through USB and multiple cigarette adapters:

http://www.my-batteries.net/others/3-ways-car-cigarette-lighter-charger-adapter-socket-with-usb-port.htm

And leaves you with a plug to spare.

ekam 09-22-2010 12:42 PM

I guess I'm just intrigued that Porsche is making "new" parts for 40-year-old discontinued cars. It's difficult to imagine a lot of other car companies that do that.

I find the major complain of older vehicle is always the radio/deck. Mine just plays CDs and look at what the new head units can do.

Overdrive 09-22-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Here ya go, Tony ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Triple-Cigarette-Charger-Adapter/dp/B000SPGFUG

I think it's a neat idea, maybe not all that functional and convenient as far as placement, but you're not really supposed to be staring at the screen, anyways. You'll just get the friendly GPS voice through your speakers, which is all you need until they say something crazy about turning off the paved road. :rolleyes:

tonycarreon 09-23-2010 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive
Here ya go, Tony ;)

ok i should clarify - something that also doesn't make me want to wretch. :)

Quote:

The GPS units have internal batteries that are good for several hours. I usually don't need to plug mine into the car at all.

you have to plug it in some time. i know you can at home, but what about a > 3 hour tour? you'll wind up like gilligan.

not saying porsche has the best option. maybe someday i'll get around to putting in that car-puter.

ChrisZang 09-23-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Well if you're willing to replace your single DIN unit with a double DIN then there's a whole world of affordable solutions which are much cheaper than the unit from Porsche

ChrisZang 09-23-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
I guess I'm just intrigued that Porsche is making "new" parts for 40-year-old discontinued cars. It's difficult to imagine a lot of other car companies that do that.

I find the major complain of older vehicle is always the radio/deck. Mine just plays CDs and look at what the new head units can do.

+1 on that
I read somewhere that Porsche has the highest percentage of all cars ever sold still running, so it's great that they want to do something for the owners of classic Porsche who want a little audio and nav high tech in their cars without compromising the looks

j.fro 09-23-2010 08:33 AM

great idea

These are going to be a big seller. Think of how out of place any aftermarket radio looks in, for instance, an '83 911 SC. There are tons of those cars around that are kept period correct, but aren't really 300 point councours museum pieces. And their owners want to keep them that way, but sure would like to get a little better sound on PCA tours and the long drive to the Parade. It's easy to hide an amp and put great speakers behind stock grilles, but the radio itself is another story...now there's a solution.