986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Stupid problem that I need help with plz (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26227-stupid-problem-i-need-help-plz.html)

pompous 09-20-2010 06:16 AM

Stupid problem that I need help with plz

Key is locked in trunk. Its the only key I have.

Changed oil this weekend and decided to check the oil before I went to work to make sure the level was good. Unlocked the car, popped the rear trunk and checked the oil. Closed the hood and was going to throw away the paper towel when I heard the car automaticly lock up and that's where my Monday really starts.

Called AAA and they got the driver's door open, but the alarm has locked me out of the both trunks. Is there someway to unlock the manual trunk release that the alarm has locked there on the inside of the car on the driver's side?

timothy 09-20-2010 06:22 AM

I recall seeing a rear trunk release cable below the driverside tail lamp on my 03. Perhaps by removing the wheel liner and/or heat shield you can squeeze an arm in there and pull the cable.

pompous 09-20-2010 06:34 AM

I have no way to get the wheel off to get to the liner as my "porsche" tools are in the front trunk. Is there anyway to manually unlock the trunk latch release that is down there on the driver's side? I tried to pull the carpet back to get to it, but its looking pretty futile at this point.

EJ_2001_986_S 09-20-2010 06:48 AM

Front Trunk Access

Check the tow-hook hole in the front bumper to see if someone (previous owner) re-routed the manual cable to there. That would at least get you access to your front trunk to get your tools to pull the fender liner.

All you really need to pull the fender liner is a flat head screwdriver, or similar object, to pull out the rivets assuming you can reach them with the wheels on. I usually can. Pry out the heads on the rivets and then pull the whole thing.

Good luck

Burg Boxster 09-20-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ_2001_986_S
Check the tow-hook hole in the front bumper to see if someone (previous owner) re-routed the manual cable to there. That would at least get you access to your front trunk to get your tools to pull the fender liner.

All you really need to pull the fender liner is a flat head screwdriver, or similar object, to pull out the rivets assuming you can reach them with the wheels on. I usually can. Pry out the heads on the rivets and then pull the whole thing.

Good luck

except, the key is in his REAR trunk...

to OP - what MY Boxster? If it is an '00 or older w/ the manual release levers for the trunk, you can use a small flat headed screwdriver to slide between the two levers on the driver's door sill to manually unlock them. Here's how:

With a flashlight and skinny 3-4" long flat screwdriver (like one of those electrician promo ones handed out at trade shows...) slide it down between the front and rear levers. Under the front trunk lever, you'll see a U shaped cut out that will have a white plate over it. The white plate, when the vehicle is locked or doors are closed, slides over the U shaped cutout to prevent the levers from being raised. Using the screwdriver, slide the white plate from the outside of the car towards the center. Once it's clear, just pull up on the lever to release the trunk.

Good Luck :)

schnellman 09-20-2010 07:33 AM

Option Number 17

I have seen postings here where individuals have successfully pushed the pin back that holds the trunk release lever located in driver's side door sill. They said it takes a very small screw driver or a piece of very stiff wire, along with a lot of patience. But, it has been done. The small pin pops up when the car locks to keep anyone from opening the trunk or frunk with those levers.

pompous 09-20-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
except, the key is in his REAR trunk...

to OP - what MY Boxster? If it is an '00 or older w/ the manual release levers for the trunk, you can use a small flat headed screwdriver to slide between the two levers on the driver's door sill to manually unlock them. Here's how:

With a flashlight and skinny 3-4" long flat screwdriver (like one of those electrician promo ones handed out at trade shows...) slide it down between the front and rear levers. Under the front trunk lever, you'll see a U shaped cut out that will have a white plate over it. The white plate, when the vehicle is locked or doors are closed, slides over the U shaped cutout to prevent the levers from being raised. Using the screwdriver, slide the white plate from the outside of the car towards the center. Once it's clear, just pull up on the lever to release the trunk.

Good Luck :)

That's it!! I knew I had read something about this in the past and i'm sooo glad you posted it up. I've got my trunks open and key out. All is well. If I ever see you, I definitely owe ya a drink...or few. lol Much appreciated!!

pompous 09-20-2010 07:45 AM

Also, I appreciate all of the responses on this thread.

Oaktown 986 10-26-2010 05:40 PM

Let me add that approaching from the right makes all the difference...