986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Passenger Rollbar Windscreen (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26163-passenger-rollbar-windscreen.html)

Jaxonalden 09-15-2010 12:29 PM

Passenger Rollbar Windscreen

My passenger rollbar windscreen departed my car at 85mph on a four lane highway and was run over by two 18 wheelers (I think they actually swerved to hit it :troll: )

Hoping someone has a spare they're willing to part with for a fare price. Please e-mail me at daveandstacy@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Dave

kpm 09-15-2010 02:18 PM

Both of mine did the same thing. Fortunately my wife has quick reflexes. Like I said in another post, I like them out better.

With as many people that have posted that theirs blew out, Porsche should lower the price of replacements.

Hahahahaha! I didn't actually say that out loud, did I ??

Jaxonalden 09-15-2010 02:33 PM

My son likes to play with the power seats, and he has set the passenger seat back until it contacts the screen (bad idea Porsche) and pushed it out dropping it into back shelf. It was probably loose and the cross winds were strong and *POP* there it went. :ah:

Turbo S 09-15-2010 03:48 PM

Mine (03 S) came with one but not the other (was in the trunk with other spares) and I didn't like the look of them anyway.

Let me dig it out in the next day or two and figure out which one it is. If it's the one you need, I won't likely use it or replace the missing one, so I'm sure we can work out something reasonable.

Cheers,
Tad

Jaxonalden 09-15-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo S
Mine (03 S) came with one but not the other (was in the trunk with other spares) and I didn't like the look of them anyway.

Let me dig it out in the next day or two and figure out which one it is. If it's the one you need, I won't likely use it or replace the missing one, so I'm sure we can work out something reasonable.

Cheers,
Tad

Tad, you are the man!! :cheers:

yimmy149 09-16-2010 02:23 PM

A black zip tie is pretty inconspicuous. I have one on each of mine.

I nearly lost the lexan portion the other day when I (apparently) didn't click it in all the way after cleaning it - not sure how to prevent that.

-james

Jaxonalden 09-16-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
A black zip tie is pretty inconspicuous. I have one on each of mine.

I nearly lost the lexan portion the other day when I (apparently) didn't click it in all the way after cleaning it - not sure how to prevent that.

-james

Thanks for the tip James, wish I had it about a week ago. :cheers:

Turbo S 09-16-2010 11:51 PM

Sorry... mine's drivers side as well. :(

Good luck on the quest.

Tad

Jaxonalden 09-17-2010 03:39 AM

Thanks for checking Tad. :cheers:

jmatta 09-17-2010 05:41 AM

Mine have stayed in place at speeds in excess of 100mph on race track familiarization runs; however, I may zip tie mine just for the added security seeing what these things cost to replace.

They do show up on eBay every now and then; likely snatched from some unsuspecting owner's car in a parking lot (another good reason for the zip ties).

kpm 09-17-2010 06:50 AM

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/161095310

I love the fact the passenger side is $128.00 and the driver side is $ 75.00

Jaxonalden 09-21-2010 06:13 PM

-Bump-

Hoping someone can still help me find a passenger side plastic roll bar windscreen at a reasonable price.

BoxsterS21 09-21-2010 10:24 PM

I have one. Throw me a price and We can talk. PM me. I will get back to you with my Phone number and we can work something out. :cheers:

Boxtaboy 09-22-2010 03:20 AM

Friendly suggestion- just unscrew the coat hooks behind the seat headrests to paint them to match the car's exterior, and reinstall them. Gives a nice look, and you never again have to worry about screen theft or loss. Just run without the mesh screens altogether. I ran with and without the mesh screens, and as long as i keep the center plexiglass screen in place, can't tell difference in wind disturbance...

http://i38.tinypic.com/34eeog3.jpg

Jaxonalden 09-22-2010 03:44 AM

Thanks Boxster21, PM sent...Boxstaboy, I have two black zip ties ready to go to secure the windscreens as soon as I get the one replaced. I have been contemplating doing what you said and paint the coat hooks and go as is but I like the finished look of the inserts. They sort of hide the roll bar so it's not so prominent. Just my taste I guess. :dance:

Thanks for the help in my time of need guys. :cheers:

Jaxonalden 09-25-2010 11:37 AM

Got the windscreen replaced for the whopping cost of $15 thanks in part to finding a Porsche salvage yard that's very reasonable on it's parts. I also replaced the Wind Blocker ( <------ advertisement on the right), they let me purchase only the one I needed...Thanks Jay!! :cheers:

For the hassle I went through replacing the OEM windscreen...I highly recommend everyone out there to run a black zip tie through one of the holes at the bottom of the insert and around the bottom roll bar to secure them. New ones are not cheap to replace.

BTW, Boxster S21...I'd suggest the next time you offer to sell a forum member something, stick to your word because it just makes you look like a punk ass when you don't.

ChrisZang 09-25-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
as long as i keep the center plexiglass screen in place, can't tell difference in wind disturbance...

http://i38.tinypic.com/34eeog3.jpg

agree with that, makes no difference with or without

ekam 09-25-2010 07:40 PM

I always make sure whenever the passenger adjust the seat it doesn't rub against the windscreen.

Most of the times if girls get in they want to move the seat forward since I have it all the way back.

I always tell them not to yank the door handle until the window rolls down.

Come on guys this is not that hard. :p

Jaxonalden 09-26-2010 01:11 PM

Just want you guys to understand why my roll bar insert blew out;

Normal everyday conditions with the OEM roll bar inserts is a substandard attempt to cut the wind that gets drawn in because of the low pressure created while driving. With Jay's "Wind Blockers" installed the airflow is cut down significantly. The only drawback to the OEM pinch fit insert is catching a radical crosswind and having your insert blown out.

Jay is now taking fellow 986Forum members suggestions and is placing a hole at the bottom and including black zip ties to secure both the inserts and Wind Blockers.

Again, this info is to prevent what happened to me, happen to you, my fellow Forum members.

Jaxonalden 09-27-2010 11:12 AM

Hu? Mike, you do know this Thread is about the plastic OEM windscreens behind the seats right? What does the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) have to do with that?