Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

New MAF - CELs

Last fall (at 70k mi) when my car was at Flat6 for the clutch and IMS retrofit, Jake mentioned - and demonstrated - that my MAF was on the way out. At that time I had just replaced 3 of the O2 sensors, all w/the OEM-type plug. The first one was replaced a few months earlier by the PO due to a CEL. Car ran great and has until recently.

Over the last two months I began getting more frequent, intermittent CELs. Couldn't find my Durametric cable and the car was running fine, so I wasn't in a hurry to diagnose it, although I did order a new MAF from ********************************AZ figuring it was time.

A few weeks ago the CEL came on and stayed on, so I disconnected the battery and did the MAF swap. CEL was still on. A day or two later, after putting a couple hundred miles on, the idle became more uneven and I noticed hesitation. Unplugged the battery cable again, but there was no change.

Finally found my Durametric cable yesterday. It showed 3 codes, each related to a different O2 sensor. I cleared the codes (forgot the write them down, though all were 11xx), but haven't driven yet since.

I read in other threads that a failing MAF can cause O2 fault codes. Given that I have less than 9k miles on the 3 new sensors and less than 15k on one, it seems a bit too coincidental to have 3 sensors failing in one shot. Complicating things a bit is the fact that my 1 yr warranty runs out on the 3 newest sensors in 11 days; after that I'm out $300+ for new ones.

Am I worrying about nothing regarding these codes?

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote