986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   weird sound (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25989-weird-sound.html)

lahalte 09-01-2010 01:52 PM

weird sound

I have a 2000 boxster with 55,000 miles.There is a humming noise from the front right.The sound is intermittent.At around 40 mph it can start and if I lift my foot off the gas pedal very lightly not enough to slow the car it stops and starts a bit later.If I accelerate and turn right from a stop it can start and stop once straight.Sometime I don't hear it for a while.My mechanic can't figure it out.I thought a wheel bearing but it is not getting worse.Maybe the fuel pump which I belive is in the tank on the right.The car runs fine.Just that humming sound that comes and goes with the gas pedal.Any ideas.thanks

Gforrest2 09-01-2010 04:20 PM

Me too, sort of. Top down, I hear a sound, intermittently, that starts around 30 mph to around 45 or so. May still be there, but the wind might be drowning it out at faster speeds. My sound is more of a whooooooo and goes off when I'm off the gas. I just got this car, an '03 w/80k miles and maybe I'm paranoid, but with every stange new sound, I have visions of repair costs bankrupting me. Oh, and sound comes from the same place as the first poster, the right front.

I also noticed a worrisome sound when I shift gears when I'm hard on the gas. I hear it from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. The sound comes from the engine compartment and is sort of a "thump", the type of sound that is made as you drive across an expansion joint on the freeway.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

lahalte 09-01-2010 05:03 PM

sound

Well maybe its a whoooooo or a humming.And yes at higher speeds the wind would drown it out.Foot off the gas and it stops.I was thinking of changing the bearings eventhough it might be something else.Not that much can go wrong on the front right side.It,s been loke that for the last 2,000 miles.Beats me.

Gforrest2 09-01-2010 06:22 PM

The worrisome part to me is that it only does it when I'm on the gas. Coast and it goes away, give it gas, it returns (sometimes). I thought (hoped) it was some sort of vibration or even bearings, but those shouldn't be affected by whether or not your giving it gas or not. Nothing under power in the right front. Could the fuel pump be making this noise? I understand the fuel pump is inside the gas tank and a very expensive fix.

For now, I just turn my stereo up real loud.

jhandy 09-01-2010 09:50 PM

Gforrest2: front motor mount
lahalte: Wheel bearings or a lesser chance the brake pads/rotors

Had both of these problems and yalls descrption is exactly what I had.

Gforrest2 09-02-2010 12:07 PM

Thanks Jhandy.

Are you talking about the whooo sound from the right front or the thump sound while shifting coming from the back?

If it's the front motor mount, I assume your talking about the thump sound. But regardless, what was the issue with the motor mount and is it something you can fix yourself?

jhandy 09-02-2010 09:43 PM

the motor mount craps out after 20K miles or so and when you shift the torque make a thump when you shift.. The rubber mount breaks very easily. Porsche has upgraded this part, install the cayman mount, will last longer.

the wooshing sound is a bearing.