986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ***A good tip when cleaning the MAF sensor (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25932-%2A%2A%2A-good-tip-when-cleaning-maf-sensor.html)

lejolierogue 08-27-2010 06:05 AM

***A good tip when cleaning the MAF sensor

Dear enthusiasts,

Just a tip if you were to ever attempt to clean your MAF sensor. Perhaps it was just my bad luck but my car acted up REAL bad after I cleaned the MAF sensor(had to flat-bed it) - choking, revving on its own, dying at every stop kinda bad!. Replaced the part this morning and wohoo! :D

So, just be prepared with a brand new MAF sensor in hand if you're attempting to clean the current "faulty" one. Yes, I used the directions on Mike Focke's website but unfortunately, cleaning it just sorta broke it. I was particuarly careful not to touch any of the contact points so I really don't think I broke it. As a matter of fact, the car was fine for the first 5-10 minutes of the drive, but it went downhill from there.

And I'll say it again but ******************************** AZ has got a great deal on the Bosch sensor - $155 for the non-e gas and $216 for the e gas. Best price out there now...

Laters!

landrovered 08-27-2010 07:20 AM

Dude,

While I sympathize with your problem....many many folks have successfully removed, cleaned and replaced their MAF sensor without the need to have a spare.

The hot film MAF is more sensitive than hot wire types and care must be taken and only proper MAF cleaner should be used but this is far from brain surgery. If I am going to pay $155 for a spare then why am I cleaning the unit and not just replacing it and then cleaning the old one and keeping it as a back up?

I am glad that you are excited about learning about your car, I encourage you to DIY as much as you can. You will mess things up and you will learn from the experience.

ppbon 08-28-2010 07:07 AM

When cleaning the MAF...

... I always recommend a spray can of MAF cleaner.
Without touching any part of the MAF, spray liberally.
Shake it dry and re-install.
If you follow those instructions it won't break.
If you drop it or have an accident that renders it unusable, put it back in the air tube with its two Torx screws, but leave it disconnected until you get a new one.

That way, you don't have to have a spare new MAF.
When disconnected, it won't be adjusting for air variables, but it will run fine without hesitations or idle-hunting. It won't hurt the car running with it disconnected, although it may affect you MPG slightly.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro