Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Question cabrio top chafe

2007 boxster - I am seeing what looks like chafe wear on outside of top - horizontal line approx 1.5" -on both sides. Location is on what would be the c pillar on a hardtop. Anyone know what the cause is any known remedies?

Dealer told me today that tops are a wear item and this chafe is normal.

JIBEHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

yep - chaffing is normal on these. The ease in appearance, or lack there of, of the fold lines and chaffing often depends on color of top. Also, keeping it well protected (a la Raggtop annually/semi-annually) seems to help minimize. As well, it's a good idea to not fold the top until it's completely dry after washing or rain.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

I would think that since it is on the outside of the top that it must be rubbing against a support member when folded and that putting some kind of non-abrasive tape or similar to that support member would reduce the chaffing.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #4

yes, it's not something to rule out of course but in general, these tops do chafe some and show fold lines. Just the nature of the beast...

Having said that, why not post a pic of the marks you are concerned about so we can make a more thorough assessment?

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #5

I took a close look at the top while closing - seems to be at one of the folds. Sure would like to come up with some sort of protection for this spot. I plan to treat the top next week and see if this helps.