986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   my cats are cooked (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25904-my-cats-cooked.html)

Perfectlap 08-25-2010 06:36 AM

my cats are cooked

looks like I'll need some new cats asap. Good thing I'm leaving for a few weeks and won't be needing the car. The CEL came up and it's driving like a bannana in the tail pipe (not quiet as bad as Beverley Hills Cop though).

Any advice on keeping this cost to a minimum? Does this usually spell curtains for the muffler too? I'm considering the Dansk unit ($1K). I think they're an OEM supplier to Porsche and this is one of the rare no drone units in the aftermarket.

eightsandaces 08-25-2010 06:43 AM

If it is the cats, one way to keep the $$$ down would be to check with LA Dismantlers.

PS Buy the titanium bits before you even begin, trust me..

Topless 08-25-2010 07:13 AM

These will work as long as you don't live in commiefornia.

http://www.********************************************************************************************/shop_parts/catalytic_converter/porsche/boxster.html

A lot of the Boxster Spec guys have removed cats during their race car build so you might find some good used ones cheap.

Cloudsurfer 08-25-2010 07:17 AM

I have a set of 30k catted headers from an 03 S sitting here, that you are welcome to.

As to the exhaust, the cats failing will not cause any ill effects to the exhaust, and you can pull the headers without removing the midpipes or muffler.

eightsandaces 08-25-2010 08:47 AM

I'd read every thread you can about headers before you do em' Schoir is the man on header knowledge. Time-certs make great thread repairs, no repairs is far sweeter.

Boxtaboy 08-25-2010 09:12 AM

Cheapest route is to just replace the rear cats with those $500 Fabspeed bypass pipes. Or else, buy some used ones off of someone who installed those Fabspeed pipes. Unless the cats you're talking about are the forward precats on the headers.

I have the Dansk exhaust, and like it...although I got it years ago for $750 when Departstop was still in business. No drone, but not as loud and aggressive sounding as a GHL or PSE.

Video of Dansk muffler revs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfjWi5LWwk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Gougoushu 08-25-2010 10:06 AM

Two years ago I called all the used Porsche parts suppliers I could find, and wound up getting cats for my base '98 from L.A.Dismantlers. A little over $500, as I recall. O2 sensors were included. 15,000 miles later, still no problems.

I never found a good place to sell the removed cats. Got a few bucks for them at a scrap metal place.

Perfectlap 08-25-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless
These will work as long as you don't live in commiefornia.

http://www.********************************************************************************************/shop_parts/catalytic_converter/porsche/boxster.html

A lot of the Boxster Spec guys have removed cats during their race car build so you might find some good used ones cheap.

are 3.2 and 2.7 cats the same? I don't see the 3.2 listed on your site.

Cloudsurfer 08-25-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
are 3.2 and 2.7 cats the same? I don't see the 3.2 listed on your site.

Yes they are.

ekam 08-25-2010 01:03 PM

How did you cook them? All 4?? Did they taste good?

Daniel R 08-25-2010 06:44 PM

I have a set off of my 2000 S. Have about 45k miles on them before I replaced them with bypass pipes.

If you want them they are yours, just reimburse me for the freight. It may be expensive however as they are in Perth, Western Australia.

If you are interested let me know and I will call DHL or UPS and get your price.

Cloudsurfer 08-25-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel R
I have a set off of my 2000 S. Have about 45k miles on them before I replaced them with bypass pipes.

If you want them they are yours, just reimburse me for the freight. It may be expensive however as they are in Perth, Western Australia.

If you are interested let me know and I will call DHL or UPS and get your price.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to want to know the answer to that question....

Daniel R 08-25-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to want to know the answer to that question....

Possibly not. Just trying to be a charitable member of the forum ;)

If they went regular post it would be less expensive but could take a few weeks. Then of course weigh this up with the fact that it is a lot to pay for used cats...

Anyone in Australia need them??? ;)

Perfectlap 08-26-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
How did you cook them? All 4?? Did they taste good?

I don't if its all four (CEL: 1126, 1133, 0430). I guess my Indy will have to decipher when I get the car to him. I recently changed 3 of the o2 sensors at 69K miles after swapping out one in 2007 (pre-cat left). CELs went away then came back recently so I decided to replace the rest.

JoeFromPA 08-26-2010 12:12 PM

Shame...you are just out of the federal warranty window....

Topless 08-26-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I don't if its all four (CEL: 1126, 1133, 0430). I guess my Indy will have to decipher when I get the car to him. I recently changed 3 of the o2 sensors at 69K miles after swapping out one in 2007 (pre-cat left). CELs went away then came back recently so I decided to replace the rest.

Looks more like lean mixture codes than failed cats. Bad MAF or intake air leak instead??

jhandy 08-26-2010 07:45 PM

I have all four cats from my 2002 S, removed in 2004 with about 15-20K miles on them.
PM if intrested