Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Looking at a 2005 Boxster 6 spd.......what do i need to look at?

Are there any bad things about this particular year/model that I need to be aware of??

Thank you in advance, I will have a pre-inspection done on the car. It is a one owner with all the records, 41K miles on it, California car.......

Let me add that I am also looking at a '04 (auto, which I like better then manual........yes I know) it has 24k miles and it is hear in Texas and is 4,500 cheaper plus the car is in Texas, the '05 is in Cali............which car would be a better buy?

Andy

Last edited by andyv94; 08-26-2010 at 03:13 PM.
andyv94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #2

I'm not going to say which is better to buy, but those are two different animals. The 05 is a 987 and the 04 is a 986. They're different in size, interior, performance, and handling. I'm assuming the 987 is a S since it's a 6spd (not sure if that was an option on the base in 05). Is the 04 a base or S? If the 05 is an S, you're looking at 285hp while an 04 base would be about 60hp less.

If you haven't seen or driven an 987, you should find one in your area and give it a test drive (any year 987 will do, they didn't change them significantly until 09). I've owned both. The 986 is more sports car than a 987, but the 987 is more sophisticated than the 986 with better matterials and design in the interior IMHO (others may disagree). It would definitely be worth looking / driving one in your area before you fly to Cali and buy something you don't like as well as the 986. Either one is good, they're just different. Some like one and not the other.

Be prepared. You may have reignited the holy war between the 986 and 987 owners. If you do some searching, you'll find several threads where the two factions go at it. There's a long running thread that reflamed just recently.

Good luck with your decision. You might want to give us more details on base / S versions so we can give you better advice.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote